Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

minimanshane

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2005
Hey my speech recognition system is set to understand american is there a plug in for uk accents as it is hard to put on an american accent!!!
Cheers shane

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I've definitely never seen any such plug-in for speech recognition. They never went any further than offering Spanish and American English. (No, I wasn't saying Spanish English. :p)

I was just trying it and didn't find a problem with my Japanglish accent. Are you sure it's that difficult?

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
MacSpeech offer a UK English version of iListen, but that's kind of an expensive option given that the Mac already has speech recognition built in :(

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
bousozoku said:
I was just trying it and didn't find a problem with my Japanglish accent. Are you sure it's that difficult?
Personally, I gave the speech recognition a whirl years ago when I got my old iMac, and it really, really struggled to understand my Yorkshire accent. I had better results when I adopted a (bad) American twang, but felt really silly so I quickly gave it up as a bad idea. :eek:

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Jaffa Cake said:
Personally, I gave the speech recognition a whirl years ago when I got my old iMac, and it really, really struggled to understand my Yorkshire accent. I had better results when I adopted a (bad) American twang, but felt really silly so I quickly gave it up as a bad idea. :eek:

I've struggled a bit with a Yarkshar accent, too. ;)

josepho

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2004
Surrey, England
I just started trying it last week, and made little progress. My accent is Scottish, but isn't very strong, so I didn't think I would have many problems. However, the de facto test phrase "What time is it?" would work only about 1 in 20 times... The one phrase that I tried and tried with NO success was "Switch to Safari" -- it would successfully switch to iTunes, Camino, etc., but there must be something about the way I say Safari (I'd phonetically write it: sa-'far-ee). I've given up...

hopejr

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2005
New South Wales, Australia
yeah, American accents are understood the best. I'm aussie, and it has problems with my accent, I have to repeat about 4 times before it responds (got annoying). I had better results with an american accent (I can put one on to an extent, as when I was in north america for 6 weeks I lost my aussie accent completely and had to re-learn it :p). Just makes me look stupid when i do it lol.

alexstein

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2004
I'm glad to hear that. I thought it only did not work with german-english accents. Oh well I will get over it. The weird thing is that some commands work just fine. (tell me a joke) others don't work at all and then there are those that just do whatever they want.

Maybe in a couple of years we will have voice recognition software that adapts to the speaker on the fly no matter what language or accent he/she is using.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.