Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
I’m after getting speed cam alerts when I’m using CarPlay in the car. I want them to alert me even if I don’t have a route planned as well, just say driving around a town.

I think Apple Maps only shows on a map and doesn’t alert you. Not sure if other apps do, can’t seem to get Google maps to without planning a route, which I don’t want.

What do others do please
thanks

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Waze works well for this.

Run in background, have to plot a route? Have to open Waze every time connect to CarPlay?

If not I could run a shortcut “when connected to CarPlay, open Waze” and not forget!

What about when you use Apple maps, would it then not alert you?
thanks

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
Yes, you have to open Waze when you connect to CarPlay, but once its running, you should get alert notifications if you switch to another app.

cjbryce

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2008
London
I’m after getting speed cam alerts when I’m using CarPlay in the car. I want them to alert me even if I don’t have a route planned as well, just say driving around a town.

I think Apple Maps only shows on a map and doesn’t alert you. Not sure if other apps do, can’t seem to get Google maps to without planning a route, which I don’t want.

What do others do please
thanks
Don't know where you're based but in the UK speed cams prompt voice alerts in Apple Maps (during navigation at least). Siri can be set to directions & warnings", "warnings only" and "none" from the Maps speaker icon.

mpainesyd

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2008
Sydney, Australia
In Australia there are several apps that alert you to exceeding the speed limit. I use Metroview. It also has speed camera alerts but they are redundant if you keep to the speed limits. Exceeding the speed limit by 5km/h (~3mph) doubles the risk of a serious injury crash. That stat is supported by evaluation (by Sam Doeke at Uni of Adelaide) of event data recorders in US vehicles involved in crashes..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.