Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ebook

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2004
Sprint Car Capital of the World
Okay, I have a 1.25 GHz G4 running OSX 10.4.8 with 256 MB of RAM and 584.7 MB of space available on the HD. This thing is DOG slow. When I switch from my Safari to PowerPoint it beach balls for 10 to 30 seconds. I usually like to have Safari, Mail, iTunes, and one other application open (PowerPoint or Word mostly) while I'm working.

So, I know that the RAM is probably dogging me down big time. How much should I up it to? Also, is my lack of HDD space slowing me down (it has told me my startup disk is full)?

What do you think I need to do? Also, what could I do that cost the least because I'll probably be done with this computer next year when the have they back to school computer/iPod deals.

FireArse

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2004
Google is your friend

If you hunt around online, (and if you're handy with a pencil) you can make your 1.25GHz chip into a 1.5GHz chip.

But, definately listen and think carefully about the first reply to your question, they are wise words.

F

Heath

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2005
Canada
Like Eidorian said, increase ram and hard drive space.

As an addition though, I think you would benefit more from a hard drive space increase, but look at addressing both.
Also since you mention getting a new computer in the near future I might suggest getting an external hard drive and putting things like your movies/music and other space hogs on that. That way you get the benefit of more space on your boot drive, and being able to just plug it in to the new computer when you get it.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
Ram makes the difference. I have a 12" PB 1.5ghz as well as the silent upgrade mini, also 1.5ghz. I dropped a 100 gig hitachi 7200rpm hd in both. And guess what? The PB is faster because of that measley 256mb of ram difference. 12" PBs have max 1.25 ram, PPC minis have 1 gb max.

Ram most important. Doing the hard drive upgrade was not as hard as you'd think, because once you open up the mini to put ram in, you might as well put a new hard drive in.

TyPod

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Ram makes the difference. I have a 12" PB 1.5ghz as well as the silent upgrade mini, also 1.5ghz. I dropped a 100 gig hitachi 7200rpm hd in both. And guess what? The PB is faster because of that measley 256mb of ram difference. 12" PBs have max 1.25 ram, PPC minis have 1 gb max.

Ram most important. Doing the hard drive upgrade was not as hard as you'd think, because once you open up the mini to put ram in, you might as well put a new hard drive in.

Also the older PPC minis are easier to upgrade the memory, it's right on the side so you don't have to dig around in the Mini. It wouldn't be hard at all to upgrade the PPC Mac Mini.

timswim78

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2006
Baltimore, MD
Get the full 1 Gb RAM (one 1 Gb PC2700 DIMM)
Don't bother with CPU upgrades
Get an external 7200 RPM Firewire hard drive

Then stop spending on this machine.

I second all of these suggestions. Anything less than 1GB of RAM is painfully slow. Also, the 2.5" hdd's in the mini's are real dogs compared to what you can do with an external firewire hdd.

ebook

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2004
Sprint Car Capital of the World
Thanks for the tips everyone. I have a FW HD so I will take that to work and throw some things on to open up so HD space. Then I will start checking in to RAM. I don't want to spend too much and it will only be a stop gap ... remember I do nothing exciting with this ... although I did record a 7 song album with 4 simultanious tracks on Garage Band!

Again, thanks for the help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.