Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NOT..BLUE..ENOUGH!

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2018
Is it just me and my seemly hopeless spelling or is the spellcheck on MacOS awful? I would say at least 40% of the time I have to rely on a DuckDuckGo search to help get my spelling corrected. thoughts? advice on how I can better streamline this? software recommendations?

organicCPU

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2016
What is your setup?
- Browser: Safari
-  -> System Preferences -> Language & Region -> Preferred Language -> add (+) -> English (U.S.)
- Applications -> Dictionary -> Preferences -> activate Oxford American Writer's Thesaurus (American English) / New Oxford American Dictionary (American English) and anything else that makes sense like Wikipedia (English), maybe search and install for other dictionaries.

Are you already handling things like that? Then just go and select some text, right click and choose Look Up "..." to avoid DuckDuckGo all the time. Safari should even tell you the worst mistakes, if you select from menu Edit -> Spelling and Grammar -> check spelling while typing. This is working for me on macOS Sierra, at least not too bad. At least I hope so…

NOT..BLUE..ENOUGH!

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2018
What is your setup?
- Browser: Safari
-  -> System Preferences -> Language & Region -> Preferred Language -> add (+) -> English (U.S.)
- Applications -> Dictionary -> Preferences -> activate Oxford American Writer's Thesaurus (American English) / New Oxford American Dictionary (American English) and anything else that makes sense like Wikipedia (English), maybe search and install for other dictionaries.

Are you already handling things like that? Then just go and select some text, right click and choose Look Up "..." to avoid DuckDuckGo all the time. Safari should even tell you the worst mistakes, if you select from menu Edit -> Spelling and Grammar -> check spelling while typing. This is working for me on macOS Sierra, at least not too bad. At least I hope so…
I am always checking with a right-click, the setting suggestions are much appreciated. I will make sure to go over those now, thank you.

Reactions: organicCPU
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.