Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cmaier

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 25, 2007
California
Anyone have this working? I can connect to the robot using the Sphero Template playground on iPad, but not the R2D2 playground.

(I also can’t get it to connect using the SDK compiled into an iPhone app, using any of the sample programs included with the Sphero SDK)

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Anyone have this working? I can connect to the robot using the Sphero Template playground on iPad, but not the R2D2 playground.

(I also can’t get it to connect using the SDK compiled into an iPhone app, using any of the sample programs included with the Sphero SDK)

I've got an R2D2, and I'll be trying it out in a few days and let you know if I figure it out.

I noticed that you can program it using Swift Playgrounds on an iPad, or using javascript in the Sphero Edu App.

I didn't know that there was an SDK for it that we can use in custom iOS apps. Can you point me to where this is?

cmaier

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 25, 2007
California
I've got an R2D2, and I'll be trying it out in a few days and let you know if I figure it out.

I noticed that you can program it using Swift Playgrounds on an iPad, or using javascript in the Sphero Edu App.

I didn't know that there was an SDK for it that we can use in custom iOS apps. Can you point me to where this is?

http://sdk.sphero.com

So far Ive only had partial success, and only using iPad playgrounds with the "Sphere template" playground (not the "R2D2 playground").

cmaier

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 25, 2007
California
Looks to me like the code in the two playgrounds (the library code) is identical.

Can’t figure it out. Will try tomorrow to copy the user-facing code from R2D2 to the “sphero template” (the one that works) and see if that makes it work.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY

I connected my R2D2 through the 'Droids for Sphero' App - no problem.

But the Swift Playground 'R2-D2 by Sphero' will not see the droid and will not connect.

So, same issue here.

cmaier

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 25, 2007
California
Early response from Sphero tech support was “sounds like it’s apple’s problem.” I’ll see if I can make more progress on it today.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Early response from Sphero tech support was “sounds like it’s apple’s problem.” I’ll see if I can make more progress on it today.

Ok. I also saw your post in the Apple Developer Forums. I'll follow both and give my input if I find anything out.

cmaier

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 25, 2007
California
Ok. I also saw your post in the Apple Developer Forums. I'll follow both and give my input if I find anything out.
Ok, got it to work sort of.

I airdropped the sphero template and the r2 template to my Mac, then used Xcode to copy the chapters from the r2 into the sphero template. Then I edited the manifest.plist to refer to the new chapters. Then I airdropped the result back to my iPad. This new template connects fine, and the r2 chapters appear to work fine.

Still no luck using the iOS sdk though.

pvappguy

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2019
Ok, got it to work sort of.

I airdropped the sphero template and the r2 template to my Mac, then used Xcode to copy the chapters from the r2 into the sphero template. Then I edited the manifest.plist to refer to the new chapters. Then I airdropped the result back to my iPad. This new template connects fine, and the r2 chapters appear to work fine.

Still no luck using the iOS sdk though.

I am trying to get this working on the iPad. If you happen to get this message and still have the file, if you could attach it or put it in Git, that would be great. I tried the process you mentioned, but it isn't working for me.

cmaier

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 25, 2007
California
I am trying to get this working on the iPad. If you happen to get this message and still have the file, if you could attach it or put it in Git, that would be great. I tried the process you mentioned, but it isn't working for me.
Oh, boy. Let me go see if I can find it. That was a very long time ago.

pvappguy

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2019
No problem. Thanks for checking. I would like my 6th grade son to give it a try.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.