Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 9, 2021
Has anyone else noticed a drastic increase in the number of spam/scam iMessages received recently? I’ve been getting junk texts off and on for a few years but in the last two weeks I got three messages specifically via iMessage, not sms. The last was a targeted spear phish which is a first for me.

Clearly my information was in a recent data breach so that’s not really my question. My question is why iMessage? The timing is awfully coincident with all the noise about Beeper Mini. I never got a single spam via iMessage until last week.

If this is the wrong forum please let me know and I’ll be happy to move it or repost.

Reactions: DaPhox

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Has anyone else noticed a drastic increase in the number of spam/scam iMessages received recently? I’ve been getting junk texts off and on for a few years but in the last two weeks I got three messages specifically via iMessage, not sms. The last was a targeted spear phish which is a first for me.

Clearly my information was in a recent data breach so that’s not really my question. My question is why iMessage? The timing is awfully coincident with all the noise about Beeper Mini. I never got a single spam via iMessage until last week.

If this is the wrong forum please let me know and I’ll be happy to move it or repost.
Hadn't noticed if it was iMessage or SMS. I do get a few spam messages, but I usually just delete them.

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
I never used to get spam on my German sim but lately I am getting a lot of fake DHL delivery notifications or „hello mum, this is my new number, can you please add me on WhatsApp“

jldesutter83

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2013
Illinois
I got an iMessage last week saying “Mary, let’s go golfing this weekend”. My name is Jen. I replied to the message saying they got the wrong number and I googled the number, and nothing came up. I googled the area code and it was a Los Angeles area code, specifically downtown. Then the person continued to message and said friends were nice to have and told me about themselves and asked about me. Then towards the end of the day they asked me if I had the app Telegram and that we could talk there because of some excuse with their assistant or something. I stopped replying and I haven’t gotten anything since then. It was weird. I’m not sure if it was a phishing scam or Catfishing deal. I was very vague in what I told this person.

Reactions: xxFoxtail

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
It's Christmas! I am getting emails and texts from companies I might have made a purchase from 10 years ago! Spam is on the increase as it is inexpensive to generate to reach a whole bunch of people! Companies are selling their email and phone lists and they are sold over and over. Every site now wants your email address for marketing purposes!

My spam folder is massive!

LionTeeth

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2022
Oh yeah definitely noticed an increase

About once a day I get a junk text from a random number that just says “hi” or “hello”

Then sometimes they rally up their game and say things like “Mary your dress is ready, when can you pick it up”

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
There’s over two billion active iOS devices. Creating an account is free. You’ll get spam no matter what platform you’re using.

Iwavvns

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2023
Oh yeah definitely noticed an increase

About once a day I get a junk text from a random number that just says “hi” or “hello”

Then sometimes they rally up their game and say things like “Mary your dress is ready, when can you pick it up”
Both of these seem to be tugging at your curiosity in the hopes that you'll open the message. What if the message has a payload attachment/malware. Does iOS/iPadOS prevent this payload from damaging the device when opening the message itself?

Last edited:
Reactions: LionTeeth
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.