Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigserve100

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2015
New York, NY
Hi all,

Just wondering about what my options are here. I spilled coffee on my rMBP15 (Mid 2015) approximately 5 months ago. It's still under Apple Care for what it's worth. The computer functions just fine; however, the entire region on which the coffee spilled (the left side of the keyboard) is very sticky. Is there any precedent for Apple willing to replace the keyboard or something similar in this situation? I understand it's not their fault or manufacture fault. Is there a cost for which I could have it repaired with them? Any help from other's in similar situation would be most helpful.

Thanks!

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
Apple Care doesn't cover it. Did you purchase a store warranty or do you have accidental damage coverage from your credit card? I would check those things first.

Otherwise there's probably a valuable lesson there about keeping drinks and laptops some distance apart. Don't feel bad though, these threads come up all the time, you're not the only one.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Hi all,

Just wondering about what my options are here. I spilled coffee on my rMBP15 (Mid 2015) approximately 5 months ago. It's still under Apple Care for what it's worth. The computer functions just fine; however, the entire region on which the coffee spilled (the left side of the keyboard) is very sticky. Is there any precedent for Apple willing to replace the keyboard or something similar in this situation? I understand it's not their fault or manufacture fault. Is there a cost for which I could have it repaired with them? Any help from other's in similar situation would be most helpful.

Thanks!

Typically, no. AppleCare does not cover accidental damage or liquid damage. Any liquid is bad, but coffee (with cream/er and sugar) can be awfully destructive - beyond just the liquid itself... there's sugars and acidic properties that can cause corrosion and, eventually, death. The "sticky" should be a clue.

The best advice at this point would be to have it professionally cleaned by a qualified person/repair shop. It won't repair any damage that's already occurred, but it will stave off any more damage.

Also, check with your credit card company or homeowner's insurance for any possible coverage.

bigserve100

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2015
New York, NY
Thanks to both of you for your response. I shall have it cleaned at a professional repair shop. I think I could check with my credit card company as well. Thanks again!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.