Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alexffff

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 26, 2017
Hello!

I have spilled MacBook Air 13 2015 with beer. I have disassembled it and cleaned it with cleaner and alcohol. There are no visible damages on boards.

It doesn't work without charger. However it sees battery. When it works with charger red light is on (not green).

Here is some info from About This Mac:
Battery Information:
Model Information:
Serial Number: C016053025YF90MBY
Manufacturer: DP
Device Name: bq20z451
Pack Lot Code: 0
PCB Lot Code: 0
Firmware Version: 511
Hardware Revision: 000a
Cell Revision: 1200
Charge Information:
Charge Remaining (mAh): 3837
Fully Charged: No
Charging: No
Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 6605
Health Information:
Cycle Count: 129
Condition: Replace Now
Battery Installed: Yes
Amperage (mA): 0
Voltage (mV): 7785

And some screenshots:
Screen_Shot_2017_08_04_at_01_35_00.png
unnamed.png

What could it be? Is it possible that charge management chip is damaged?

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I recommend taking it to the nearest apple store so they can test the battery. If the battery is fine, I would to take it to a Mac repair shop as the apple store will only replace logic boards, not repair them.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
That LED on the magsafe connector should be either amber/orange (indicating that the battery is charging)
OR green, indicating that the battery is not charging, but getting power from the magsafe adapter.
Red is a power circuit error, which might mean a bad magsafe adapter, or the I/O board, or the logic board.

Did you try a different magsafe adapter?

The problem is likely the charging circuit, which is on the logic board.
Check carefully at the battery connector. Use a magnifying glass to look for any corrosion.

The fact that you can't run on the battery alone probably means that there is a blown fuse on the logic board.
And, you will need to replace the logic board - or find a shop that does board-level repairs.

alexffff

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 26, 2017
That LED on the magsafe connector should be either amber/orange (indicating that the battery is charging)
OR green, indicating that the battery is not charging, but getting power from the magsafe adapter.
Red is a power circuit error, which might mean a bad magsafe adapter, or the I/O board, or the logic board.

Check carefully at the battery connector. Use a magnifying glass to look for any corrosion.

The fact that you can't run on the battery alone probably means that there is a blown fuse on the logic board.
And, you will need to replace the logic board - or find a shop that does board-level repairs.

The LED is orange

_Kiki_

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2017
repair will be very expensive because of liquid damage, Apple can only replace logic board

MacBook Air without battery also have orange light on the charger

Are you from UK or US ?

red light it's a myth, there is only orange, green and no light on charger
there is no fuse for charging circuit

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocko99991

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
repair will be very expensive because of liquid damage

MacBook Air without battery also have orange light on the charger

red light it's a myth, there is only orange, green and no light on charger
there is no fuse for charging circuit

Not quite:
No battery, the power adapter/charger light is green, because, well, no battery. It can't charge without a battery present, so would only supply power, so a green LED.

Red LED on the power adapter indicates a charging error, usually a failing power adapter - - I expect you have never worked in service.

Finally, yes, there's a fuse in the charging circuit. Not replaceable, unless you know where it is, and are skilled at circuit board-level repairs.

_Kiki_

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2017
Not quite:
No battery, the power adapter/charger light is green, because, well, no battery. It can't charge without a battery present, so would only supply power, so a green LED.

Red LED on the power adapter indicates a charging error, usually a failing power adapter - - I expect you have never worked in service.

Finally, yes, there's a fuse in the charging circuit. Not replaceable, unless you know where it is, and are skilled at circuit board-level repairs.

I see you don't know what you talking about, you knowledge about board level repair is around level zero

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.