Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Antr7

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2015
Hi everyone,

On my M2 12.9 pro I have noticed the spinning wheel next to the WiFi indicator does not stop spinning when Safari is open and the website is loaded. On my older iPad after the website loaded the wheel stopped spinning. I have tried restarting the iPad, resetting network connections, and clearing the history but it seems to keep coming back. Anyone have any idea what is causing it and how to fix it?

Attachments

• IMG_0006.jpeg
    IMG_0006.jpeg
    30.9 KB · Views: 350
Reactions: sbdyontheweb

danjan24

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2023
Hi everyone,

On my M2 12.9 pro I have noticed the spinning wheel next to the WiFi indicator does not stop spinning when Safari is open and the website is loaded. On my older iPad after the website loaded the wheel stopped spinning. I have tried restarting the iPad, resetting network connections, and clearing the history but it seems to keep coming back. Anyone have any idea what is causing it and how to fix it?
I have a m2 12.9 also, and i have that issue also. On the iPad Air 2019 the problem is also there.

Antr7

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2015
I have a m2 12.9 also, and i have that issue also. On the iPad Air 2019 the problem is also there.
I contacted Apple Support last night and they were not able to fix it but I have a call setup with a senior support advisor to see if they know what is going on. My 2018 Pro does not do it but the new M2 does. I can't seem to figure out what is running in the background causing it to spin

iObama

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2008
Same happening here on my 10.5” iPP. iOS 17.1

So annoying!

Live long and prosper

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2023
I discovered the same issue on my iPad Pro tonight. It would stop if I killed and restarted safari. I could load websites from bookmarks and everything would be fine but when I searched in the address bar the spinning wheel would start and never stop.

Kill safari and turn off "search engine suggestions" in settings/safari. That did the trick for me.

My iPhone does not exhibit this behavior.

Gator5000e

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2018
Thank you for this. I was getting the spinning wheel almost constantly the entire time I was using safari. Turning off all three of those buttons in the suggestions seems to have fixed the issue for me. Thank you again and Happy Thanksgiving if your in the US!

Nightflyer720

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2023
Toggling off “Search Engine Suggestions” in Safari settings does indeed kill the continuous spinning wheel, but it’s absurd that the only way to stop this annoyance is to disable a feature many find helpful and convenient. Being forced to address one issue by creating another is the definition of incompetence. Having a simple toggle to turn the network spinner on and off couldn’t possibly solve this problem once and for all . . . what a silly notion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.