Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which design do you prefer?

• Current App Picker

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • MacStories Concept

Votes: 14 87.5%

• Total voters

mattoligy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2010
Cloud 9
image-jpeg.636392

(MacStories Concept)

image.png

(MacStories Concept Modification)

Was anyone else looking forward to some improvements and added functionality in this area? Opinions welcome...

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    198.7 KB · Views: 800
Last edited:

mattoligy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2010
Cloud 9
The beauty of the above concept is its layout looks to be perfectly capable of being dynamic! It would fit both width options...

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
The Slide Over/Split View should definitely be updated for app picking in iOS10..1/2/3 the way it works now isn't helpfull at all. A search and option to choose favorite apps and/or add/remove apps from the selection would be great to have. It's a great concept from MacStories.net which will hopefully be implemented sooner then later in iOS.

Reactions: mattoligy

mattoligy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2010
Cloud 9
The current one is awful. I actually wish I could have a picker on the left pane too.

That would be great, but it would interfere with the current set up where the left pain is the dominant app when opening in split screen view. However, thinking about it, one would no longer need to close out of app view to select a new app to occupy the left pane. The App Picker availability on the left side would negate the need to exit app view altogether and arguably be much faster! If the App Picker was like the MacStories one that is :rolleyes:

rmm805

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2014
That would be great, but it would interfere with the current set up where the left pain is the dominant app when opening in split screen view. However, thinking about it, one would no longer need to close out of app view to select a new app to occupy the left pane. The App Picker availability on the left side would negate the need to exit app view altogether and arguably be much faster! If the App Picker was like the MacStories one that is :rolleyes:

What I've found on my 12.9 iPad Pro is that using the command-space and opening a different app for the left pane is at least slightly less jarring than hitting the home button. But it would still be nice to not have to hide the right pane in order to switch.

Reactions: mattoligy

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
How you you use slide-over with that split screen concept? I use slide-over with messages quite often, and that above seems like an extra step. Swipe to left, pick app, use app, swipe to close. Messages is defaulted for me on slide-over (I've used it with so many apps, so its always the first one) so all I have to do is swipe, use, swipe.

mattoligy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2010
Cloud 9
How you you use slide-over with that split screen concept? I use slide-over with messages quite often, and that above seems like an extra step. Swipe to left, pick app, use app, swipe to close. Messages is defaulted for me on slide-over (I've used it with so many apps, so its always the first one) so all I have to do is swipe, use, swipe.

It would work exactly the same, the App Picker in the concept looks to be completely capable of being dynamic in its layout, much like a website will rearrange assets when used at different page widths!

The App Picker would open in the narrower Slide Over width or to the last app used in Slide over mode. Then if in the App Picker view when one could swipe out all the way to a complete half screen and the App Picker would dynamically shift UI elements to fill the extra width.

Check the first post, I've mocked up what I mean!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.