Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xsdeus

macrumors regular
May 24, 2012
San Diego, CA
aren't they dumb? These so-called, "engineers." I wonder who hired these rejects?

Please don't attack their intellect just because a feature or their way of implementation does not suit your wants or needs.

I don't think anyone really needs full-screen split feature on desktops, especially when multi-touch gestures make it so easy to switch between the various windows on a Mac. I have a much easier time switching windows on a Mac than I do on Windows.

That said, I personally really enjoy the new split-view feature, since I prefer viewing windows in full-screen.

It's okay to criticize someone's work in a positive way, to provide feedback for future improvements and revisions, but definitely not okay to attack them personally.

neliason

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2015
That said, I agree that split screen is somehow cumbersome to use. However, Windows-style side snapping would not work with OS X because dragging windows to the sides moves them to a different virtual desktop. The solution with the fullscreen button is not bad. But it needs to work more seamlessly.

Side snapping in Windows works not just by dragging but also by Windows key + Arrow key.

I tried split view yesterday and it worked well for the task I had. What I like about the Windows solution is you aren't limited to just two apps. The feature also allows you to better tile your Windows. Sometimes I snap a particular program to the side but have several I'm using not snapped on the other side. The snap serves as a convenient way to maximize your use of screen space. But I'd take multiple desktops over side snapping.

Kidniki100

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2015
Split view is a joke on the desktop IMO.
Desktops have always been able to multitask, so the feature is effectively pointless (at least for me).

I can see the merit of it on an iPad, but not on my Mac.
I'm actually trying to find some way to disable split view entirely.

You do realize that when you are in split screen mode, you can bring the dock up from the bottom of the screen and select another app or double finger tap three finger pread your mouse/trackpad and it will bring your spaces up? I think it works pretty damn good. Also, I love the double lick the title bar to maximize/minimize ala windows! Finally!!!

Reactions: crjackson2134

felt.

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2008
Canada
Well the only difference between the built in one and bettersnaptool is when using built in split view the menu bar dissapears so you get slightly more screen real estate. bettersnaptool works with any window.

lssmit02

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2004
Split screen is a great innovation for me, since I often want to have my research next to my writing. With split screen, I don't have to tab or swipe, it's just there. For example, this works well with Scrivener and Safari. I can have my document open on one side, and web page with the research on the other. Very convenient. Plus, the fact that it is full screen means there are fewer visible distractions.

Reactions: username: and Te0SX

beebarb

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2015
@dyn
Oh, so turning off that option destroys Split View's ability to function, good. I don't want to be accidentally triggering it.

@Kidniki100
I realise that, but it doesn't change my position on the feature, I consider it a gimmick, nothing more.

Dark Goob

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2007
Portland, OR
I almost read your post, then I saw it started with this, and knew there was no chance of you having anything of value to say.

Before you discredit people for not upgrading, you really ought to consider that maybe they have a valid reason.

First of all... if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Why update unless the pros outweigh the cons?

Everyone universally agrees that iOS 6 runs smoother and faster on iPad 3 than any other version, and gives better battery life. If I did not care about those things, then I would have bought a crappy Android tablet in the first place.

The main thing I care about are the apps that I use. Right now the iPad 3 with iOS 6 does everything I could realistically want it to do, except for the enhanced Notes version in iOS 9. I don't use my iPad 3 on public networks or for any tasks where security would be a concern. (I'm well aware of its weaknesses in that department.)

Any new iOS version that slows my device down or reduces its battery life is therefore a downgrade. It would take an extremely compelling new OS feature—one that actually works on the old device—to get me to sacrifice the fluidity and smoothness of iOS 6.

I use some fairly processor intensive apps (synthesizer apps routed to DAWs using AudioBus) for live performance. I interface with some 30-pin 3rd-party accessories. I cannot risk discovering that one of these accessories or apps is no longer supported on iOS 9, or requires an update that makes it runs like crap on anything but the latest devices.

I've been using the Mac since 1984. I've been through more updates than you can imagine. I've had more hardware drivers broken and devices rendered obsolete and computers made slow by "upgrades" than most people have ever owned, total. Over time I've learned to be very cautious about updating. I'm a power user, and as a musician I need extremely low latency. What may be acceptable lag for some people is a deal-breaker for me. That's why I am on iOS to begin with.

Outside the world of computers and devices, everything else in life that you buy is supposed to just work. Your dishwasher, microwave, fridge, car, TV, etc. are all tools to do a certain job, and they do it, and you can rely on them doing that same job the same exact way, as long as they are kept in good repair. I prefer to be able to buy something and forget about it for 5 to 10 years at least before it will need replacement or messing with.

However in the world of computers and devices, companies like Apple and Microsoft now think that they own your device's system, and they want to force you through multiple buggy, complicated, time-consuming update procedures every single year, which usually require updating tens or hundreds of third-party software as well, often at no small cost of time and money. You have to do a ton of research first, to see what might break and what won't; what will get updated and what will be consigned to the graveyard of Software that Once Was, joining some of my favorite software of all time that only runs on Mac System 8 or System 7, etc., like World Builder and WriteNow!.

They tell you to back up your computer before the update. The point of that was, if the update sucks or it breaks half your software, you can restore your machine its previous state, before the update. On the Mac, you can still do that. However on iOS, you cannot restore your device to its previous state, because Apple blocks people from installing older versions of the OS for reasons that they've never publicly explained (to my knowledge).

If it weren't for that anti-consumer practice of theirs, then I would love to try out the new iOS updates for myself. I'd sure like to try iOS 9 on the iPad 3. I've heard it performs better than iOS 7 or 8. However, everyone agrees it performs worse than iOS 6, and who knows how my apps and accessories will fare. If it was possible to install iOS 9, and then, if I don't like it, go back to iOS 6, then I would do so. However, my understanding is that Apple does not allow downgrading of the OS beyond 8.4.1, which is known to suck on the iPad 3.

Since I can't restore my iPad to its current state if the update sucks, why would I risk updating?

For power users, developers, and enterprise customers who may have a legitimate reason to be on an old version, Apple should enable a way to put any older system version onto a device. I imagine they do this mainly to combat jailbreaking, but I hate the feeling of being punished for what a bunch of script kiddies do, especially since I pay $99 per year to be a developer and have been a loyal customer for over 30 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: AleXXXa

Dark Goob

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2007
Portland, OR
@dyn
Oh, so turning off that option destroys Split View's ability to function, good. I don't want to be accidentally triggering it.

@Kidniki100
I realise that, but it doesn't change my position on the feature, I consider it a gimmick, nothing more.

Split Screen is actually one of the features that I would use a lot if it was available. I should just use one of the third-party options though. Nothing Apple does surprises me anymore, TBH.

beebarb

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2015
I almost read your post, then I saw it started with this, and knew there was no chance of you having anything of value to say.
So, just because someone uses something older, you think their opinion has no value?

I still use an iPad that runs iOS 5, because I can't afford to, nor want to get a newer device, and it can't run any newer version of iOS. It does what I want and need it to, so I have no compelling reason to set money aside for an eventual upgrade.

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
I still use iOS 6 on my iPad 3, so I can't use the new features of Notes yet. (iPad Pro.. hurry!)

I don't like Spotlight calling home, and I block it from using the network, so evidently I can't use ANY of the new features of Spotlight.

Safari's new features are not specific to Capitan.

And I don't ride the bus.

So like, the only new feature of Cap that would be useful at all to me, is the split screen feature where you can have two windows automatically arrange themselves side-by-side, through a complicated "long-press" on the green button.

Except... as I found out... split screen doesn't work unless the app supports it. However the only way to tell if the app supports it is to see if the tiny green button has a + symbol in it or not. That works fine when you pick the first app.

But then you have to click another window from amongst your other windows on the right-hand side, and of course it shows all of them to you, and at that scale you cannot tell which ones support split-screen, and which ones don't. Pick one that doesn't support split screen, and it will expand to full-size behind your currently half-screen sized app! OMG. Terrible.

Why does it even bother showing apps on the right-hand side, like Word 2011, that don't work with the feature? Why put users through such a buggy mess?

This feature is a joke compared to the elegant way it's handled in Windows. That's just sad. I can't believe that anyone at Apple actually thought this was a good idea. Whoever was in charge of this feature ought to be fired on the spot. Why is Apple employing idiots these days? Start hiring smart people!

KKhaeVu.jpg

Deleted.

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
Split Screen is actually one of the features that I would use a lot if it was available. I should just use one of the third-party options though. Nothing Apple does surprises me anymore, TBH.
I actually prefer the way the 3rd party tools do it over El Capitans Split View; they are a bit easier to work with (it is easier to trigger and undo) and more intuitive to me (Split View is a bit awkward due to it being part of Fullscreen and what it does when you drag one of the apps out of the Split View).

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
The same people who thought San Francisco was a good font, evidently. I'm about to carve my face off with a rusty spoon after a day with iOS 9 and El Capitan. Holy crap what an ugly font. I've started squinting when I use my devices, so that my vision is too blurry to see what font it is, exactly, whenever I can.

Now this is what I'm talkin' about:

biMka5U.jpg

HELL YEAH! TECHNO! Or better yet... SAND!

IhUYg3t.jpg

Also here is the car you are allowed to drive when using Mac OS 9:

cqx2emf.jpg

Vector W8 Twin Turbo :D
HAHHA that's so true.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
Please don't attack their intellect just because a feature or their way of implementation does not suit your wants or needs.

I don't think anyone really needs full-screen split feature on desktops, especially when multi-touch gestures make it so easy to switch between the various windows on a Mac. I have a much easier time switching windows on a Mac than I do on Windows.

That said, I personally really enjoy the new split-view feature, since I prefer viewing windows in full-screen.

It's okay to criticize someone's work in a positive way, to provide feedback for future improvements and revisions, but definitely not okay to attack them personally.
meh..okay..so i went little far on attack. Still, i prefer they reliable engineers to work on it.

Reactions: Te0SX and xsdeus

thedeejay

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2012
Toronto, Canada.
I think this split screen is a little half assed for a few reasons...

1) It doesn't even support Apple's own apps. I was surprised to learn I can't use Safari and iTunes side by side
2) A pain in the ass to use, as you have to hold the maximize button - can they not implement it in a better way?
3) Refer to point 1 and 2
4) Refer to point 1, 2 and 3

Te0SX

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2014
I think this split screen is a little half assed for a few reasons...

1) It doesn't even support Apple's own apps. I was surprised to learn I can't use Safari and iTunes side by side
2) A pain in the ass to use, as you have to hold the maximize button - can they not implement it in a better way?
3) Refer to point 1 and 2
4) Refer to point 1, 2 and 3

Put Mission Control to the up-left corner (as Hot Corner) Then, through mission control you can take a a window, and put it between two existing spaces, and app go fullscreen. Then, you can take an other app, and put it inside the fullscreen app, so you take split view.

+ I can't understand why you can't use Safari and itunes. But I can! Actually all my apps can go split view. You have enable 'Display have separate Spaces' at Mission Control, right?

(a quick shot, just to show you that it can happen, and yes Safari+itunes too)
192oi8X.png

for me, it just work great with every app. :)

Kissmyne

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2015
I felt apprehensive about the split view(I use Aero Snap on my Win8.1 Partition) feature at first, but then I started using it in conjunction with Spaces, I find it rather user friendly now. Is it better then Aero Snap? No, its not worse though either.. Same idea, different execution.. Think Different  :)

thedeejay

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2012
Toronto, Canada.
Put Mission Control to the up-left corner (as Hot Corner) Then, through mission control you can take a a window, and put it between two existing spaces, and app go fullscreen. Then, you can take an other app, and put it inside the fullscreen app, so you take split view.

+ I can't understand why you can't use Safari and itunes. But I can! Actually all my apps can go split view. You have enable 'Display have separate Spaces' at Mission Control, right?

(a quick shot, just to show you that it can happen, and yes Safari+itunes too)
192oi8X.png

for me, it just work great with every app. :)

Not quite on my end. When I try to do that it won't let me. Shows a grayed out stop sign

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-10-02 at 10.47.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-10-02 at 10.47.41 PM.png
    4.7 MB · Views: 212

Dark Goob

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2007
Portland, OR
Please stay on topic. You have your thread about the typeface, so post your opinions about the typeface there.

I'm on painkillers right now due to a broken foot and forgot which thread I was in. My apologies.

Also I do have to say that when the split screen is working correctly, i.e. both apps support it, it is really cool. The main difference compared to windows is that in El Capitan you can dynamically move the middle divider around. It doesn't just have to be in 1:3 or 1:1 or 3:1 ratios between the panels. And the animation for resizing is very cool... you get this blurred-out effect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.