Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hym tix

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
I have a 12.9 iPad Pro on iOS 10. It is mostly a great experience and improvement, even coming from iPad Air 2. However, one feature leaves me constantly frustrated: split-screen is side-by-side only.

I am so baffled that Apple didn't implement split screen for top/bottom use while holding the ipad in portrait. Imagine watching YouTube lectures while taking notes... a movie while browsing the web or checking email... Facebook or messages while watching the game... All of these scenarios would offer a full HD video (on the 12.9, and standard HD on other iPads) at the top of the screen while allowing an iPad mini equivalent sized app in landscape orientation below.

Sure we can do those things now, but there are so many scenarios that are not ideal in side-by-side. At best we can do the pop-out video that is a small window in a corner of the screen. (And I don't think YouTube app even allows this yet, right?).

I'd really like to know why we don't have top/bottom split screen on iPad. Does anyone have some insight into this?

Reactions: pacorob and PJ.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
I really agree with you there that Apple should come up with a way to also show apps above eachother as well.
There are some apps (mostly third party browsers) that do offer such a feature but it's not the official Split View from Apple which is what we want ofcourse. Unfortunately the majority of those apps haven't been updated in a while. Although these three (Split Screen Multitasking, TileBrowser and uSurf, not sure if this last one has split screen above eachother though) are still frequently updated though.

screenshot Split Screen Multitasking app:
screen696x696.jpeg

What to think as well of the really awfull way of (de)selecting apps or searching for apps that can work in Slide Over, Split View modus.

img_1067.png

Last edited:

CagdasCizer

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2015
This frustrates me on my 9.7 ipad pro too. It would be so much better to have that option.

Hym tix

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
I really agree with you there that Apple should come up with a way to also show apps above eachother as well.

the really awfull way of (de)selecting apps or searching for apps that can work in Slide Over, Split View modus.

img_1067.png

Yes, this is a ridiculous gesture / process on a 12.9 iPad Pro. ...Scrolling through 3 giant oversized icons that take up 1/4 of the screen , SMH. Why the big wasted gray space around each app icon?

Apple, please do something. It doesn't even take a lot of creativity to come up with some viable solutions.

Reactions: pacorob

Hym tix

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
Well, it’s official. Apple released another iOS revision with no solution to portrait multi-tasking. iOS 12 provides no fix.

Apple, you can fix this. Look, no one wants two tall skinny apps side by side. You are embarrassing yourselves. Fix it.
[doublepost=1537531086][/doublepost]
IMG_1999.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.