Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Judicat0r

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2004
Has anyone tried splitting an Apple SSD upgrade kit? Apple Support docs say the SSDs can be installed in one or two card configurations, but I’d like to know definitively if you can use a single kit to upgrade two Mac Pros, with a single SSD going into each (and removing the originals). Has anyone tried this and can confirm if it works?

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
I found this iFixit article. It's about installing Mac Pro SSD modules into the iMac Pro so the info is probably applicable to the Mac Pro. People report that the SSDs don't work if you switch them into the wrong slot. So if they don't work one way, switch them. (The person who posted that later found they had them reversed and the Mac Pro SSD modules do work in the iMac Pro.)

Someone also asked if iMac Pro SSD modules can be used in the Mac Pro and someone said no, but I don't know the technical reason. Maybe they don't work if they're used from another system. If they're new I would think they would work.

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
Also, I have a suggestion for the storage in the 7,1. I think it would be a good idea to leave the original SSD storage alone and use PCI-e SSD storage instead. I mean to leave the original OS install like it came from Apple on the built-in SSD storage. Keep the software updated on it, but don't use it for anything. Install macOS and your personal files on your own PCI-e storage. That way you don't have to worry about backing up the original storage if you need to send your Mac in for service and there are no security concerns if you go to sell it. You simply remove your PCI-e storage.

Last edited:

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Also, I have a suggestion for the storage in the 7,1. I think it would be a good idea to leave the original SSD storage alone and use PCI-e SSD storage instead. I mean to leave the original OS install like it came from Apple on the built-in SSD storage. Keep the software updated on it, but don't use it for anything. Install macOS and your personal files on your own PCI-e storage. That way you don't have to worry about backing up the original storage if you need to send your Mac in for service and there's no security concerns if you go to sell it. You simply remove your PCI-e storage.

Totally agree.
Trading-off 1 PCIe slot for more reasonable priced nVME SSD (than the proprietary storage) is the advantage of a tower form factor Computer.
A PCIe x16 card with 4 M2 slots (capable of gen 4 x4 nVME) is around 100$. Much more versatile than the upgrade kit offered by Apple.

P/S: price above is not correct. Tks to tsialex who corrected me.
Bifurcation cards (4 slots M2) are cheaper (~50$) but not supported by MP7,1 logicboard.
Non-bifurcation cards (PCIe switching) are more expensive, ranging from 200@ to 350$.
But pairing it with a pair of 4TB nVME blades at 500$ (gen3) or 700$ (gen 4) each are still much cheaper than the 8TB kit from Apple. Less hassle, too.

Last edited:
Reactions: ZombiePhysicist

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
A PCIe x16 card with 4 M2 slots (capable of gen 4 x4 nVME) is around 100$. Much more versatile than the upgrade kit offered by Apple.

I think you are mistaking PCI Express Lane Partitioning (aka bifurcation) cards for PCs with the Mac Pro required PCIe switched cards.

The cheapest ASM2824 two blade PCIe switched cards compatible with Mac Pros are around $140 from AliExpress and almost $200 for a very basic and ugly as hell 4-blade card.

Reactions: Nguyen Duc Hieu

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
I think you are mistaking PCI Express Lane Partitioning (aka bifurcation) cards for PCs with the Mac Pro required PCIe switched cards.

The cheapest ASM2824 two blade PCIe switched cards compatible with Mac Pros are around $140 from AliExpress and almost $200 for a very basic and ugly as hell 4-blade card.

Thank you for the knowledge.
It seems to me that a cheap single M2 slot nVME adapter with 4TB vNME blade is still a better solution than the Apple ugrade kit.

This one cost 250$ (4 M2 slots for non-bifurcation motherboard)

Hb6fe9584d0df42488dc6abb447106af0T.jpg

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.