Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

circatee

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
To confirm, the main difference between the Apple Watch Sport and the Apple Watch Stainless Steel, is the 'stainless steel', and weight of it, right?

About six months ago, I bought an Apple Watch Sport 42mm. Within 48 hours, I returned it. It felt rather small and lightweight on my wrist.

Typically, I wear a Invicta type watch (I have a few of those), and they are HEAVY and large. Maybe that's why I wasn't too fond of the Apple Watch Sport.

I'm now virtually fully vested in Apple. With that, I own an iPad Air II, iPhone 6s Plus, and new addition a few weeks ago, and iMac (first Mac EVER).

Think about adding an Apple Watch. Hence my question...

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
To confirm, the main difference between the Apple Watch Sport and the Apple Watch Stainless Steel, is the 'stainless steel', and weight of it, right?

About six months ago, I bought an Apple Watch Sport 42mm. Within 48 hours, I returned it. It felt rather small and lightweight on my wrist.

Typically, I wear a Invicta type watch (I have a few of those), and they are HEAVY and large. Maybe that's why I wasn't too fond of the Apple Watch Sport.

I'm now virtually fully vested in Apple. With that, I own an iPad Air II, iPhone 6s Plus, and new addition a few weeks ago, and iMac (first Mac EVER).

Think about adding an Apple Watch. Hence my question...

The SS model uses Sapphire Glass which is more scratch resistant compared to the Sport model which is basically gorilla glass similar to the iPhone and supposed to be more shatter resistant.

The SS model's under casing is ceramic coated to reduce wear where as the Sport does not have a coating.

Reactions: circatee

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
You can consider the link bracelet models if you want the heaviest SS model. The 42mm Edition case body is even heavier at 69g if you can afford it.

Last edited:

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
I bought the SS vs. Sport because SS can be buffed out if it gets scratched vs. the Sport which will slowly show nicks over time. And, I like the flexibility of bands since SS matches anything, while the aluminum is going to look a bit odd with some of the bands that aren't colored.

circatee

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
Just bought the 42mm Stainless Steel Space Gray. Going to pick it up shortly. I'm sure getting more watch bands will make me BROKE!

hallidc

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2013
Just bought the 42mm Stainless Steel Space Gray. Going to pick it up shortly. I'm sure getting more watch bands will make me BROKE!
Good choice. I owned both a sport and a SS model and the SS definitely takes the cake. I've seen many sport devices scratched to hell on the screen which is quite unfortunate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.