Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Coryrupert

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 26, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
I’m using an Apple Watch S4 Cellular. I can get music to initially start streaming one or two songs from a playlist but it just stops, does anyone have this working away from their iPhone and off of WiFi? I’m wondering if those first couple songs are just qued locally and nothing actually streams...

It is no longer labeled “Beta” so it should “just work” right?

Reactions: MacRealist91

larzy

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2008
Denmark
Don't wanna ask a rude question - but you do have a dataplan with the eSim model, right? Have you tried to remove the plan and restart the watch, and activate the plan again?

mk313

macrumors 68000
Feb 6, 2012
One other thing that I've noticed (not with Spotify, but with iTunes music or with Podcasts) is that there is a transition period to go from Wifi/ bluetooth connection to cellular. So if I start a pdocast/song at my house, then leave with only my watch (no phone), when I get out of range of my phone & wifi, it takes a good amount of time (maybe 15-30 seconds) to connect to a cellular signal. If the song/podcast is not downloaded to the watch, it then takes a few moments for it to start playing again (my cell signal is not great by my house). Could be a similar issue to what you're experiencing.

Coryrupert

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 26, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
@larzy Yes I have a dataplan and it works fine, just an issue with Spotify streaming it seems. Apple Music worked fine on my free trail.

@mk313 I think you are on to something here, however it seems I can never get it to start going after I leave the wifi area of my house (on a run for example) If I wait until I'm far enough away and start it seems to work better, however it's still pretty bad, even with a good cell signal. It seems to drop and stop playing a lot.

Thanks for the replies!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.