Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Anarchy99

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2003
CA
i was planning on an emac around christmas time but il wait a little longer if the up the emac a little what are the chances of a new emac line in that time frame

Daveman Deluxe

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Corvallis, Oregon
sockeatingdryer:

I find it unlikely that a sub-$1000 computer of any kind would have a graphics card that offers pixel-level programming, which is required for the full effect of CoreImage. Dell doesn't. I'm pretty sure hp doesn't. Alienware certainly doesn't. ;) The point is that CoreImage requires pixel shading to render CoreImage's real-time effects to their fullest. Cards with pixel shaders are expensive.

For that matter, Tiger doesn't REQUIRE such a graphics card to run. Indeed, CoreImage itself doesn't require that graphics card to run--it scales down the effects for weaker video cards.

Furthermore, the eMac, starting at $799 has a Radeon 9200 in it. That's VERY GOOD for a sub-$1000 computer. The iBook offers the Mobility Radeon 9200, starting at $999. Again, that's quite good--most (all?) desktops and laptops in these ranges on the PC side have integrated graphics.

Apple decided to include a feature in the next operating system that is a serious boon to those whose graphics hardware can handle the load. However, not all current models have that graphics hardware because it's NOT CHEAP. Why shouldn't those who have the graphics hardware be able to use it? The other options are thus:

a) Don't include CoreImage, even though there are a lot of folks that have the graphics hardware to run it at full throttle;
b) Include graphics hardware in all new computers that can fully exploit CoreImage, while either raising prices or lowering profit margins.

Do either of these two look like good solutions to you?

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
demo doesn't equal release.

when apple RELEASES tiger next year, i suspect that most - if not all - apple hardware that will then be "current" lineup, will have supported graphics card installed. come on, people... it is more than six months earliest. if someone really NEEDS those new technologies, he will likely be buying a new one anyway at that time if he for some reason doesn't already have such an apple hardware that is supported. most likely does, though.

come on, folks, it took a long time for coreaudio to reach mainstream. it will take two years for coreimage and corevideo to reach the people using emacs, too. i mean the software that is cheap enough (free) for a regular joe to buy. at that time apple surely has hardware support for everyone. no problem there. and pro people who need it today were able to buy supported hardware yesterday. so no problem there either.

only problem: whiners. want something? go buy it. nothings is free.

X_Ranger

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2003
Cincinnati
michaelrjohnson said:
The power of apps like Photoshop does not lie in a few image filters, its all about the image manipulation options. Such comparable options do not exist in something like iPhoto. That's why people buy and use Photoshop and don't stick to stuff like iPhoto, or Microsoft Photo Editor (Windows). I dont' think Adobe is real troubled by this. In fact, they may be able to use it to power some new features that may not have been possible before.

That's right michaelrjohnson! Adobe could leverage the core applications if they wanted to. Jobs said as much.

Wardofsky

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2002
I think spotlight is a great thing for how tidy your Mac is to be honest.
I've been using LaunchBar for a good while now and it's the main reason my dock is so empty, just hit Apple+Space type in a few letters hit enter and what you need is launching.

I've soon tons of people with every single app crammed in to the dock, Spotlight looks so refined and Apple like so it should be one of the greatest features Tiger will give us all.

Now all I have to search for is Yosemite...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.