Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

user1234

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 3, 2009
Sweden
Hi!

Ever since updating my 1st gen Air to iOS 11 I have had issues with spotlight app search. Before when I searched for an app, it showed up as it should, but now I have to type the full name or it won't show up at all.

For example, when I type 'gm' Gmail used to show up. Now only a shortcut to the Gmail entry in the iOS settings app will show up. Gmail will only show up if I type 'gmail'. There are apps with long names that are hard to remember the exact spelling of, and typing in the whole name is not quick.

The old trick to reindex (uncheck everything in spotlight settings, reboot, recheck everything relevant) doesn't seem to work with iOS 11.

I have tried it on family members iPhones and it works as it should there.

Does anyone else have this issue? Would really prefer not to start clean. Takes so much times to set everything back up manually...

Chazzle

macrumors 68020
Jul 17, 2015
Hi!

Ever since updating my 1st gen Air to iOS 11 I have had issues with spotlight app search. Before when I searched for an app, it showed up as it should, but now I have to type the full name or it won't show up at all.

For example, when I type 'gm' Gmail used to show up. Now only a shortcut to the Gmail entry in the iOS settings app will show up. Gmail will only show up if I type 'gmail'. There are apps with long names that are hard to remember the exact spelling of, and typing in the whole name is not quick.

The old trick to reindex (uncheck everything in spotlight settings, reboot, recheck everything relevant) doesn't seem to work with iOS 11.

I have tried it on family members iPhones and it works as it should there.

Does anyone else have this issue? Would really prefer not to start clean. Takes so much times to set everything back up manually...
In Settings—> Siri & Search, be sure that you have Search & Siri Suggestions turned on for all the apps that you are waning to show up in Spotlight. In iOS 11, they group Siri in with Spotlight search which is silly.

Reactions: user1234

user1234

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 3, 2009
Sweden
Thank you, that works!

But what a stupid change. I want all apps to appear but I don't want content from all apps to appear...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.