Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ShinRich

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2020
Hi All,

Hope I'm posting this in the right forum. So I just switched over from Windows and still getting adjusted to things in the Apple world. I have found most of the Windows program alternatives in Mac OS.

One thing I cannot seem to figure out though is file properties, specifically comments. For many of my pics in Windows I have comments on the pics such as where the pic took place or what was the event (ex. @ Steve's house, or for Kevin's bday, etc...). It's just a nice thing to have so 20 yrs down the road or whenever, i can look back at the pic and have some context of what was happening when the pic was taken. So when I choose my view options and add the column for comments I can see that right away. In Mac OS I don't see the comments transferring over. Similarly, when I add my comments in Mac via the "Get info" option, I don't see those comments transferring over to Windows if I view the same file.

So am I just out of luck here or did I miss something? Obviously re-entering comments on pics for both operating systems is not going to be an option as there are far too many pics for me to do that.

Thanks for help and i hope I was clear.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
From what I know. MacOS stores the metadata separately in a .DS_Store file. So, it'll get lost in the Windows transfer. I think the way Windows appends comments metadata is unreadable by macOS.

From what I can find. Adobe Bridge may be a solution for you. You'll have to redo the comments. But I think it appends the metadata correctly. So, that it is a part of the file.

ShinRich

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2020
From what I know. MacOS stores the metadata separately in a .DS_Store file. So, it'll get lost in the Windows transfer. I think the way Windows appends comments metadata is unreadable by macOS.

From what I can find. Adobe Bridge may be a solution for you. You'll have to redo the comments. But I think it appends the metadata correctly. So, that it is a part of the file.
Thank You for your suggestion. Having to redo the comments is just going to be too much and if I ever switch back sounds like I'll have the same issue but I will look into Adobe Bridge to see what it can do for me

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.