Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kovacm

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 3, 2009
Hi,

at first glance I had impression that Spotlight wont index files on my network share but then I read:

"Spotlight will not perform a search of Remote Volume indexes when Spotlight is invoked via cmd + spacebar or via the Spotlight top right corner magnifying glass search box." link

and this is true.

Spotlight perfectly finds files on my network share if I open Finder window and type e.g. filename in Finder search box.

Said that, there is great website from ex-Apple employee: https://www.eclecticlight.co just search for "spotlight" and you will get treasure trove of information and UTILITIES regarding Spotlight in Mac OS.

BUT I still can not find a way how to force Mac OS to display Spotlight results from network drive in Spotlight Command-Spacebar/Menu bar/Global Spotlight/Loupe results!?!

macos-spotlight-intro-1024x640.jpg

btw
half of problem regarding "spotlight does not work on network drive" that people have are in basic expectation of results from network shares in Spotlight menu-bar results... and for some reasons, Apple decide to omit these results...

Real question is: "Why Spotlight does NOT SHOW results from network drive (by design!)"

Reactions: Johnny Jackhammer

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
One of the VERY FIRST THINGS I do when setting up a new Mac is to DISABLE Spotlight.

Instead, for searching, I use EasyFind (small and free):

Give it a try.
I predict you'll like what it can do.

• Angry
Reactions: jagooch

kovacm

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 3, 2009
Thanks for advice but no thanks :)

Can we stick to my question/request: - “how to make spotlight show results from network drive?”

I am Mac user since 1986.
I am well aware of EasyFind (and other utils...) Even more, I offten use EasyFind as ADDITION to Spotlight; I also used QuickSilver and I am in process of switching from QS to Spotlight so for me is crucial to get network results in “global” Spotlight (otherwise I will switchback to QuickSilver).

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Thanks for advice but no thanks :)

Can we stick to my question/request: - “how to make spotlight show results from network drive?”

I am Mac user since 1986.
I am well aware of EasyFind (and other utils...) Even more, I offten use EasyFind as ADDITION to Spotlight; I also used QuickSilver and I am in process of switching from QS to Spotlight so for me is crucial to get network results in “global” Spotlight (otherwise I will switchback to QuickSilver).

Spotlight uses a metadata server that is constantly monitored and updated (mds/mdworker running in activity monitor all the time). When you perform a spotlight search its searching that metadata server which is why its so fast.

If things change especially by a different machine the metadata server is discarded and the drive(s) are reindexed from scratch.

Many networks have other people or even the same person on a different machine active on them. Causing further complication.

AND certain non Mac file systems are not supported due to the nature of how this metadata server is built.

Its very easy to make a perpetually indexing machine out of a Mac if care isn't taken. That said I believe the command is/was....

mdutil /Volumes/directory -i on 'Volumes and directory being your network share obviously'

Research that before using it because I'm not positive that is exactly right. Oh and depending on the amount of data the index could go on from hours to days. You should be able to see its progress from the Spotlight search field (type a couple letters) or hovering your mouse over the magnifying glass in the upper right.

Good luck!

• Angry

kovacm

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 3, 2009
Spotlight uses a metadata server that is constantly monitored and updated (mds/mdworker running in activity monitor all the time). When you perform a spotlight search its searching that metadata server which is why its so fast.

If things change especially by a different machine the metadata server is discarded and the drive(s) are reindexed from scratch.

Many networks have other people or even the same person on a different machine active on them. Causing further complication. ...

Thank you for response but I am pretty sure that you still do not undestand what is the PROBLEM:

Let assume I have external file servers (NAS) with share "Files". On that share I have file "test.doc".

1)
Spotlight will not perform a search of Remote Volume indexes when Spotlight is invoked via cmd + spacebar or via the Spotlight top right corner magnifying glass search box.

spotlight_glass.png

and Spotlight is open like this:

macos-spotlight-intro-1024x640.jpg

if you search (type) e.g. "test" file in this search, it will be NOT FOUND by spotlight!

2)
But if you open new Finder window and go to external share "Files" and then type in Finder search "test" file will be found!

osx_searching.png

---

It is not question if external drive share is indexed (it is) but problem is that Spotlight will not perform a search of Remote Volume indexes when Spotlight is invoked via cmd + spacebar.

I hope that now is clear what is the problem!? :)

elptdbi3lYI

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2021
Thank you for response but I am pretty sure that you still do not undestand what is the PROBLEM:

Let assume I have external file servers (NAS) with share "Files". On that share I have file "test.doc".

1)
Spotlight will not perform a search of Remote Volume indexes when Spotlight is invoked via cmd + spacebar or via the Spotlight top right corner magnifying glass search box.

View attachment 1966035

and Spotlight is open like this:

View attachment 1966036

if you search (type) e.g. "test" file in this search, it will be NOT FOUND by spotlight!

2)
But if you open new Finder window and go to external share "Files" and then type in Finder search "test" file will be found!

View attachment 1966037

---

It is not question if external drive share is indexed (it is) but problem is that Spotlight will not perform a search of Remote Volume indexes when Spotlight is invoked via cmd + spacebar.

I hope that now is clear what is the problem!? :)
I went through the pains of this before and concluded that it's not possible to make network share results appear in spotlight.

Johnny Jackhammer

macrumors regular
May 5, 2011
mdutil /Volumes/directory -i on 'Volumes and directory being your network share obviously'
Code:
➜ sudo mdutil /Volumes/Media_1 -i on
Password:
/System/Volumes/Data/Volumes/Media_1:
Error: unable to perform operation.  (-403)
    Server search enabled.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.