Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ingenious

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 13, 2004
Washington, D.C.
So what's the deal with Spotlight?

Many times, it won't find my stuff until I find it myself, open it, close it and the search again with spotlight. (10.4.3)

Stuff is disappearing out of my Smart Folders and I had to disable/renable "Contacts" to get it to find ANY contacts. (10.4.2)

Ideas? Why is it doing this? A highly publicized feature such as this should not be having problems.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Have you tried forcing a complete re-index? There might be something corrupt in the spotlight file. Or perhaps a process that is somehow competing with the mdutil or interrupting its disk access? You're right...it should just have kept working, on your computer, as it did on most others...it's strange and frustrating that it just stopped working. And that makes you not trust it. Kind of like when you start using Sleep on a Windows computer, and it's fine, until it starts not waking up once or twice.... And then you can never use it again. :(

ingenious

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 13, 2004
Washington, D.C.
mkrishnan said:
Have you tried forcing a complete re-index? There might be something corrupt in the spotlight file. Or perhaps a process that is somehow competing with the mdutil or interrupting its disk access? You're right...it should just have kept working, on your computer, as it did on most others...it's strange and frustrating that it just stopped working. And that makes you not trust it. Kind of like when you start using Sleep on a Windows computer, and it's fine, until it starts not waking up once or twice.... And then you can never use it again. :(

I've read somewhere about how to force a complete re-index, but I don't remember where... Can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

ingenious

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 13, 2004
Washington, D.C.
mkrishnan said:
Certainly. :)

There's a second tip in this thread, if you scroll down, that may also be worth trying.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/123403/

Found the System Preferences fix in this thread about three minutes before my I checked this tab again. Thanks for the link, I'll bookmark it, just for future reference :p .

I'll keep you posted to see if this works.

Thanks.

[edit: added thank you :D]

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.