Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gravydog316

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 17, 2016
Canada
Hi, so my mom reinstalled macOS Ventura 13.5 on our iMac,
Finder & Spotlight are returning search results on our iMac hard drive,
but now are not returning any search results on our external hard drive,
even though it was before the re-installation...

I tried adding & removing both the iMac HD & ext. HD from Settings as suggested, but still no results on the ext. HD, only the iMac HD...

1692064259769.png

===
& i keep removing the Mac HD, but it keeps quickly re-adding itself.
Why does it do this?

1692065317401.png

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
Connect the external drive (btw. what file system does it use?).
Then use + + . to show hidden files (the period is part of the keyboard shortcut) in the finder.
Look for a folder named /.Spotlight-V100 on the drive. Drag it to the trash and empty it. Restart. (If you can not empty it, restart first, empty the trash, and restart a second time.)

Otherwise I recommend installing Onyx, run it and use it - besides other things - to reset the Spotlight indices.

Reactions: arkitect

Gravydog316

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 17, 2016
Canada
Connect the external drive (btw. what file system does it use?).
Then use + + . to show hidden files (the period is part of the keyboard shortcut) in the finder.
Look for a folder named /.Spotlight-V100 on the drive. Drag it to the trash and empty it. Restart. (If you can not empty it, restart first, empty the trash, and restart a second time.)

Otherwise I recommend installing Onyx, run it and use it - besides other things - to reset the Spotlight indices.
it's "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" & a GUID partition map ...ok i did that & restarted. goign to work & will let it rebuild (how do you tell if Spotlight is indexing?)
1692110945855.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.