Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

em100

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2010
boondocks
Does anybody else have problem getting applications on spotlight. When I type in safari the first thing it tells me is the dictionary and the application is no where to be found. This beta is very bad and I think they released it way to early.

Nov 28, 2010
located
This beta is very bad and I think they released it way too early.

They did not, that is what Developer Previews or betas are there for, to find all the bugs, since not even Apple can find them with their resources.

Or do you really think, Apple releases DPs or betas for the general public in order for that general public to use a DP or beta as their main system?

Come on, if you are a developer, you would understand that, but since you are not, and got a copy via third party channels, you shouldn't complain, as it was your choice, to install a beta version of a product.

Anyway, why not report that bug to Apple?

em100

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2010
boondocks
They did not, that is what Developer Previews or betas are there for, to find all the bugs, since not even Apple can find them with their resources.

Or do you really think, Apple releases DPs or betas for the general public in order for that general public to use a DP or beta as their main system?

Come on, if you are a developer, you would understand that, but since you are not, and got a copy via third party channels, you shouldn't complain, as it was your choice, to install a beta version of a product.

if apple can't find all these bugs on their own they need a new team of people. Most of them are everyday usages for a grandma. Developer or not... I have much knowledge on apple products and have been getting betas from developers and helping them out.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
if apple can't find all these bugs on their own they need a new team of people. Most of them are everyday usages for a grandma. Developer or not... I have much knowledge on apple products and have been getting betas from developers and helping them out.

Does your county know where all the trash is on the side of the road that needs to be picked up? No! People call in their problems and the county resolves it. Same thing happens here.

Nov 28, 2010
located
if apple can't find all these bugs on their own they need a new team of people. Most of them are everyday usages for a grandma. Developer or not...
It confuses me, and probably others, that you do not understand the concept of betas or Developer Previews, especially with the following sentence.
I have much knowledge on apple products and have been getting betas from developers and helping them out.
In other words, you should be used to buggy software and should understand, what betas actually are: a testbed for developers to find bugs with the software itself and the collaboration with one's own software.
Hell, I am not a developer nor participate in beta programs, and even I can understand the concept. If it was a public release, meaning, it would be sold or given away free to potential customers, then it would be another matter, but since OS X 10.10 Yosemite is a beta, it is understandable, that it can contain bugs, and maybe the one you experience is limited to your installation and hardware, due to you having done something special.

But then again, you should feel entitled nonetheless.

nienque

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2012

I reported it a few days ago. I have also noticed that calculations involving divisions and decimals yield inconsistent results, with the preview pane giving a different result than the search bar xD

Haven't found any 'official' information about this, but what's up with searching Wikipedia and other external sources? Is that only available for US people? And if so, is it bound by GPS location or can I just set my location to US in the System Preferences?

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX

Helping the developers out or helping Apple out? cause the developers that pay for the right to get a developer preview of an OS don't actually fix bugs so you're going to need to report those bugs directly to Apple, well.... you already knew that.

It is just hard to comprehend why, bear with me for a second, why someone wants what Apple has just so that they can complain about it. If this OS is that bad why on earth would you put yourself through the hassle of even dealing with it ? or are you doing us a favor by warning macrumors members against installing betas when you don't understand what they are about?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.