Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

caileach

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2018
13" Mid 2012 MBP made in early 2016 with original HD and running on High Sierra, the ram was upgraded to 16gb several years ago.

When using Firefox last night, colored dots appeared on the screen and the browser crashed.
Firefox is now unusable, it crashes on the google home page which gets covered with yellow, green and blue dots.

Safari seems be usable but it gets blue or white dots on light areas of pages and red/purple/pink dots on images/media/ads.
Youtube videos have moving coloured dots like rain, when the the video isn't on fullscreen, the white areas of the screen is clear of dots.

Photos are covered in dots.

The statusbar has a few purple dots.

Videos on Quicktime have the rain of dots like youtube.

Screenshots/images have dots and small lines when opened with Preview.

Audio and music still plays fine.
PDF's open fine on Adobe reader but have spots in Preview.
Images that have spots/lines on Preview, look normal when opened on Gimp.

I've occasionally noticed it's been running a bit hot lately, after the spots and crashes started happening, I took the back cover off and found the heatsink full of dust.

Disc utility didn't show any problems and pram reset did nothing.

Any ideas on what's wrong with it and can it be saved?

IMG_2015.JPG
IMG_2016.JPG
IMG_2017.JPG
IMG_2020.JPG

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Unless you can get this repaired CHEAPLY (under $100), might be time to start considering a replacement.

Something to try (won't hurt anything):
Try a safe boot.
From a power-off condition, press and HOLD (and keep holding) the shift key and then press the power-on button. Keep holding the shift key down for a while.

This will bypass a discrete GPU and run on integrated graphics.
Hmmm.... did the 13" model of the 2012 MBP even have "discrete" graphics?

Do you have an external display you could try with it?

caileach

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2018
Thanks all, the GPU is what I was thinking it is too.

I might look for a replacement laptop or a see if I can find a replacement logic board/donor laptop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.