Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SaltedsnakE

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 3, 2016
Hello! I'm currently using 5k retina iMac late 2015 version.

2 hours ago I was cleaning its screen and sprayed some windex on the screen. Maybe I sprayed too much since I saw few drops of windex hanging on the bottom edge of the computer. After the cleaning, I turned on the computer and played some music via iTunes. That's when I noticed my mac was playing a song with very light bass. I'm pretty sure the bass was reduced because I used to get vibrations on my desk on the certain part of the song but I couldn't with the same amount of sound bar back then. I thought the problem was because that drops of windex that were hanging sipped through the internal speaker somehow so turned the mac off and waited about 2 hours. Few minutes ago I checked it again but still got no bass I used to have. Now that I think of it, the main vocal's voice was clear hours ago too. If it was the speaker's problem every sound should've been sounded like underwater or sort but it seems bass is the only thing that got diminished. Then maybe internal software collision? I have no idea now.. pleas help me with how to identify the problem, and how to fix it. Your help will be much much appreciated.
[doublepost=1467553813][/doublepost]I'm starting to think few drops of liquid aren't just harmful enough to damage the whole line of speakers. Then, maybe because some of the apps I installed recently? Chronically I installed Openemu, MAME OS X, roms for those emulators, and Civilizations 5 via steam. please help me, it's driving me nuts

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
Let it dry for a couple of days and see if that helps. But why use windex or any form of cleaning spray? - the new flat iMacs are best cleaned with a bit of water and just microfiber cloth.

Reactions: TheBro72

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I'm starting to think few drops of liquid aren't just harmful enough to damage the whole line of speakers. Then, maybe because some of the apps I installed recently? Chronically I installed Openemu, MAME OS X, roms for those emulators, and Civilizations 5 via steam. please help me, it's driving me nuts
You could just buy some real external speakers.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
I don't understand how that would affect anything though. The speakers are incased in a plastic box like device almost all the way at the top inside of the iMac. You'd have to turn the iMac upside down and spray liquid directly into the speaker holes to have a chance of it getting to them.

I have been using Sprayway Glass Cleaner and microfiber on all of my iMacs since 2007. And I still have and clean the 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, and 2015 all the same.
I just doubt Windex made that change.
Screen Shot 2016-07-08 at 12.34.58 AM.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.