Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bernie-Mac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
Sin City, NV
Ok i have stocks and the calculator hidden and finder and installer replacing them. How do i now make sure that all new apps i download get hidden so i only have 12 apps on the springboard?

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
The only way right now is to add them to the <special> section of your DisplayOrder.plist every time you install a new app. There's a program on the Installer repositories called rSBT that you can use to edit the order from your iPhone, I could see them adding this functionality eventually, but right now it's not an option.

Lionheart

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
Tampa, FL
Ok i have stocks and the calculator hidden and finder and installer replacing them. How do i now make sure that all new apps i download get hidden so i only have 12 apps on the springboard?

I have done this myself. It's a bit involved, and there may be an easier way to do it, but this is how I did it, best I can remember. My files are attached.

1) I use Finder for my 13th app. I replaced the icon.png with a long custom PNG file that takes up the whole row. I have included a sample PSD file, from which you can make a transparent PNG in Photoshop (thanks to DeuceDuece for this brilliant idea). Here is a picture of my theme.

lionheart_phone.png

This means I have an invisible button in the 13th position, which launches Finder. (You can use whatever app you want in this position...you get the idea).

Problem...any new apps show up in the open positions. Solution:

2) I made copies of Finder.app and named them 1.app, 2.app, and 3.app. I then made a transparent png file which I copied into all 3 directories (also attached app for example. You'll have to duplicate it twice more and rename accordingly).

3) I edited the Info.plist file in each of the dummy apps to be named com.demo1.demo, com.demo2.com, etc. (already done in the attached zip archive. Again, duplicate and edit accordingly). I then added entries to the DisplayOrder.plist that put 1.app, 2.app and 3.app in the 13th-15th positions.

4) One last problem...the names of the apps were showing up for my new dummy apps. Solution - edit the LocalizedApplicationNames.strings file, which is located in your /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/English.??? directory. Here you'll see entries for all your apps that look like this:

<key>com.apple.mobilephone</key>
<string>iPhone</string>
<key>com.apple.youtube</key>
<string>YouTube</string>

Just add entries to this list in the same fashion, one for each of your dummy apps like this, removing the text between the <string> tags:

<key>com.demo1.demo</key>
<string></string>

etc. (I've included my file for reference...you'll need to edit yours accordingly as you'll have different apps than I do.)

Thus, I have 4 invisible copies of Finder in the last row. Works great for me. Of course, you could make any app you want invisible using this method, or mix and match!

This may be the hard way to do it...but it works!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.