Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Not bad sprint. I would get all 10 lines and make a phone belt and start walking around with all 10 lol

steve19150

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2009
Do the math

$100 to $160 A MONTH :eek::eek::eek:

and people in Germany look at me crazy when i tell them that i pay 35 Euro a month.

$100 is more than i pay for netflix, Nexus Plan, iPad Plan, unlimited 100mbit internet, spotify and cable HD tv combined lolol

Per line that comes to $25

Sandesire

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2014
Wuuud?

That's so expensive!

My plan (Switzerland): unlimited data (no throttling), unlimited text, unlimited calls.
Speed: 30/6mb, 100mins/100texts global included, 100mB in europe included. (all per month). And all this for sweet 39.-.

The US are getting milked. (I think they have to pay the NSA-equipment;))

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2011
Just out of curiosity, what are your plans terms? Lines, data cap, minutes, etc... Hows coverage over there?

Id just like to compare to see how much the plans are really different between the US and Europe.

I pay £15 per month for unlimited LTE, unlimited tethering, 2000 SMS, 2000 min calling, unlimited 3G data in some foreign countries (roaming)

As for coverage in uk, most major cities have LTE. Outside the cities 3G runs at 15-30Mbit/sec - rare for me to get less than 5Mbit/sec

Data is unlimited but capped at 1000Gb/month and throttled if you p2p until 12am on congested cell towers.

Whilst this is cheap compared to usa, uk is much much smaller to a lot fewer masts to maintain. So you can't compare prices really.

pdaholic

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2011
I've got an "unlimited" data plan with att. I just checked, I've used 5.3 Gb this month with 2 days left. Internet speed test shows I'm throttled at ,49 Mbps up and download speeds. Screw you att!

Last edited:

GRSM-IE

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2014
how do they get the remaining payment for the value of your phone? 79€ is only about a 5th of the value isn't it. 35€ would only cover network charges for your plan.

but yeah that's way better than ours here. actually all our communication charges are outrageous. my Internet is $40 for 6MB, which is stupid. doesn't matter if I'm getting 3MB or 50MB, it's costs them very little extra.

Europe is far cheaper - I live Ireland - I pay for a UPC Internet 39 euro (200MB speed/no limit); phone - prepay is 20Euro with Unlimited 4G (no throttling) - if you want to go for a pay plan (24months) generally either you pay around 40EUR/month and something like a 100 EUR for a top phone or around 55EUR/month with small or no charge for a phone (https://www.three.ie/shop/phone-plans/bill-pay/)

jimmirehman

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2012
Great! if you like dial-up speeds!

Its good i guess only because it will hopefully force the other big names to meet or beat the pricing.

----------

If i'm reading this correctly, 32GB data plan plus my current 8 lines (after the 2015 promo) would cost me $450 with sprint.

I currently pay $325 with AT&T.

peterh988

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2011
I pay £15 per month for unlimited LTE, unlimited tethering, 2000 SMS, 2000 min calling, unlimited 3G data in some foreign countries (roaming)

Have they tried to get you off unlimited tethering yet? They're offering me the world to change me to a similar plan but with only 2gb tethering. I guess they (Three) must be running scared of unlimited 4g tethering.

They offered me a 32gb 5s to switch contracts, I can't really see how giving a £600 phone to someone who spends £180 a year with them is good value.

In fact the offer to switch was so good I assumed it was a scam call until it was too late!

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I don't see anyone else bringing this up, so I think I'll point this out:

I won't bite because they're only offering this to NEW customers. I don't have them right now, but you know what? I don't want to ever be called a CURRENT customer because it looks like Sprint doesn't give a flying eff about them, or else this pricing would be available to all of their customers, NEW and CURRENT alike.

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
I don't see anyone else bringing this up, so I think I'll point this out:

I won't bite because they're only offering this to NEW customers. I don't have them right now, but you know what? I don't want to ever be called a CURRENT customer because it looks like Sprint doesn't give a flying eff about them, or else this pricing would be available to all of their customers, NEW and CURRENT alike.

"NEW" customers get it for $100/month until 2015, where they will pay $160/month.

"CURRENT" customers would get the exact same plan for $160/month now and always.

$240 difference over 4 months. Terrible? Not really. Little annoying? Maybe. I don't see anyone complaining about their cable bill when new sign ups get 6-12 months of promo priced months when they're paying full price.

HitchHykr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2007
Virginia

and people in Germany look at me crazy when i tell them that i pay 35 Euro a month.

$100 is more than i pay for netflix, Nexus Plan, iPad Plan, unlimited 100mbit internet, spotify and cable HD tv combined lolol

How much do you pay for gas again? Electricity? LOL for real...

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
I'll stick with AT&T because I like having signal, no dropped calls, or data connection issues. Sprint could offer me 500GB per month for $10 and I'd pass. What good is your offering if you can't back up your service quality?

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
Just out of curiosity, what are your plans terms? Lines, data cap, minutes, etc... Hows coverage over there?

Id just like to compare to see how much the plans are really different between the US and Europe.

in Italy I pay about 55$ for unlimited text and voice and 20GB data on LTE with the cheapest mobile operator which is H3G. I got an iPhone 5 for free when I started the contract, which lasts 30 months.
Coverage is great cities like Milan where I live, Rome, Florence etc. while I go on roaming in rural districts. While roaming I can't use my data for free but I can call and text without extra charge.
I run speedtest every once in a while and I get 25 to 45Mbps downlink.

In my country only a minority of people have a contract. Most people sign contracts just to get iPhones, because here iPhone 5S is about 950$ so very expensive.
If you buy the smartphone prepaid is the cheapest and most convenient choice.
For 20$ you can have 1 or 2GB of data and 400/600 minutes of voice, depends on the carrier.

Is not common to have a "family share pack" here, but with prepaid is common to have options so you can call you favourite number or numbers of the same carrier for a few bucks every month.

jyroflux

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2007
San Diego
The rest of the world is laughing at us. Prices too high, too complicated. The companies have learned well from the government, tax them a million different ways, they'll never know.

ScubaCinci

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
OH
Pfffttt. Guess I am AT&T for life, then. Not giving up my unlimited data plan.

I believe they are forcing people out of these plans upon next upgrade. I have the unlimited as well and plan on switching to Verizon if they make me give it up.

ptb42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
This all might change as I'll be getting married next year thus my future wife and I will most likely start a new plan together :/

You can probably still keep it to about $62.50/month per phone, if you have a decent corporate discount. Mine is 19%, and it's applied to the base service cost, but not the device fees.

My wife and I have 10GB/month of data, unlimited everything else, for $125/month from AT&T (after taxes and everything). That's the no-contract, no-subsidy price. You lose the $450 phone subsidy, but pay $600 less for two years of service, per device.

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
...I mean I still own a dumb phone and I have for 10/mo unlimited txt and calling. I use my wifi 128GB iPad Air for everything else exclusively on secured free wifi hotspots. Seems I can get everything done in life this way...

If I may ask, where do you get UTnT for $10/mo.?

The best I've been able to find is $27/mo. for UTnT + 500GB of 3G data on H2O Wireless (an AT&T MVNO).

Also, how do you determine that a WiFi hotspot is secured?

Thank you.

wovel

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2010
America(s)!
Looking at the second chart it sure seems to cost a lot more than my AT&T family plan for 5 phones and 2 ipads with 20GB....

chrisbru

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2008
Austin, TX

That's all meaningless without knowing your monthly salary. Money is all relative to how much you have.

Also relevant: cost of transportation, cost of living, taxes, etc.

It's not an apples to apples (no pun intended) comparison of prices.

Also, this is not for an individual plan, its for a family plan.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
That's so expensive!

My plan (Switzerland): unlimited data (no throttling), unlimited text, unlimited calls.
Speed: 30/6mb, 100mins/100texts global included, 100mB in europe included. (all per month). And all this for sweet 39.-.

The US are getting milked. (I think they have to pay the NSA-equipment;))

What area is covered? The state I live in is almost 17 times as large as Switzerland.

MacrumoursUser

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2014
Denmark

Only in America, the land of dreams, things like that are possible. And they manage to create such a convoluted way of how you choose your plan that you choose wrong in the end anyway. And the pricing ... Best deal in the land of atrocious pricing is still atrocious.

----------

What area is covered? The state I live in is almost 17 times as large as Switzerland.

So what? The state you live in probably has 5-10 times more people living in it and it's not like you'll get reception in Moab desert anyway.

vpro

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2012
If I may ask, where do you get UTnT for $10/mo.?

The best I've been able to find is $27/mo. for UTnT + 500GB of 3G data on H2O Wireless (an AT&T MVNO).

Also, how do you determine that a WiFi hotspot is secured?

Thank you.

Part of the deal with me getting the service at such a low cost restricts me from revealing my provider. I can only give advice as to how to attempt to convince your providers in a respectful but firm way to give you the service custom ordered to your specific needs, as long as they are the most minimum needs, don't expect miracles but be reasonable. Then perhaps they give you exactly what you'll need and pay for :D

Wifi hotspots are secured when you have to sign in say at a cafe hotspot or via your own carrier's wifi hot spots where you don't pay extra for access but are given a password. Networks that are not secure are those where you can just select them, those are open to the public, like in parks and beaches, on buses, metro subways, starbucks etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.