Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gandek

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 7, 2017
Picking up a iPhone 5 (Sprint only not unlocked) for my collection and obviously I'd like to simply get it past the activation and any setup menus, but I don't have a old sprint sim. Could I just activate it using a T-mobile sim and try calling them up if it doesn't work? I know you could also potentially jailbreak it, but as its a collectors item I'd like to keep it stock if possible. Phone is on iOS 10.3.3

msp3

Suspended
May 9, 2015
The Sprint/T-Mobile activation (lock/unlock) profile is one and the same nowadays, however your phone must recognize it. If you let it update carrier settings, it should recognize this, but you have 2 challenges: getting past the activation screen (SIM required) and it will stay locked to Sprint SIMs only until it can see a carrier update that tells it otherwise

Gandek

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 7, 2017
The Sprint/T-Mobile activation (lock/unlock) profile is one and the same nowadays, however your phone must recognize it. If you let it update carrier settings, it should recognize this, but you have 2 challenges: getting past the activation screen (SIM required) and it will stay locked to Sprint SIMs only until it can see a carrier update that tells it otherwise
Update - It wanted a sim to activate, but I just used the emergency call trick and it worked first try to get it past it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.