Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lammercy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 4, 2012
I'm coming to the point of complete frustration with Sprint after several excruciating years of waiting for service and quality to improve. Wanting to upgrade to the new iPhone Xs from my 7+ but I'm having serious reservations about signing on with Sprint again. I really just don't feel like the savings (for me, single line) is worth it anymore.

Download speed: 2.78 Mbps
Upload speed: 2.07 Mbps
(Dallas, TX)

It's hilarious that it says "web browsing should work..." because at best it takes forever to load a page on safari.

SprintSpeed.jpg

My question is should we be expecting a bump in quality/speed when T-Mobile takes over? Or should I just call it quits and hop over to a more reliable network?

Two Stacks

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2015
New Orleans
In New Orleans, Sprint and Tmobile (and their associated prepaid networks) are terrible. ATT has better call quality than VZW, but VZW has better data coverage than ATT and better call coverage in rural areas.

if you don't want to pay for ATT/VZW prepaid, I'd recommend cricket (it runs off of ATT's network).

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
My experience with Sprint here in the Fort Worth area was terrible. I've been with T-Mobile now for a number of years and have always had great customer service from them. I'm personally hoping the government disapproves the T-Mobile/Sprint merger even though T-Mobile according to the merger info would be the lead carrier and the name would remain T-Mobile.

Reactions: Lammercy

Two Stacks

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2015
New Orleans
My experience with Sprint here in the Fort Worth area was terrible. I've been with T-Mobile now for a number of years and have always had great customer service from them. I'm personally hoping the government disapproves the T-Mobile/Sprint merger even though T-Mobile according to the merger info would be the lead carrier and the name would remain T-Mobile.
I have friends that live in Houston and Dallas and say that their service is great. But that merger may seriously not even take effect until late 2020. those things take a lot of time.

sman789

Customer Support
Staff member
Dec 25, 2007
Richmond, VA
I'm switching to Sprint after 13 years with AT&T! AT&T has been great, network/service wise but customer service is pretty poor. I changed plans recently (grandfathered unlimited to a newer unlimited) and they quoted me a $5 increase but in reality it's $20.

I would shut up and pay the difference as it's not much but it irks me AND Sprint is offering a year of service for free (Data/text/phone). If its extremely bad, I could always go back, or jump on Google Fi.

Ortiz83

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2018
My ATT service with speed test. I’m in Austin TX.
57d1f395727610d26b8a09a2ee9911c1.png

My second run
e126371bc10a23cdb0afd50123eeed95.png

Last edited:

airjay75

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2014
There’s no one size fits all in selecting a carrier. For me, most important is how good is the coverage where I will use my phone most of the time (home and work) - whether one or more carriers (or none) work well at one’s home and work will vary based on your location. Beyond that, I care most directly about the general geographic area in which I live and beyond that, I care somewhat about national coverage, but those both take a back seat to using my phone at home and work. The only thing you can do is test out each carrier for yourself and see which ones work. You can tell me that carrier X or Y has the best national network all you want, but if I don’t get a good signal at home or work, I don’t really care. If you’re lucky enough to live and work somewhere where multiple carriers provide good service, then price and/or regional/national coverage may be tie breakers.

Ortiz83

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2018
I have friends that live in Houston and Dallas and say that their service is great. But that merger may seriously not even take effect until late 2020. those things take a lot of time.

My whole family lives in Houston and they all have T-Mobile and say T-Mobile is not bad but not great either. But that their calls cut out most than others.

Last edited:

Olefins

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2017
In New Orleans, Sprint and Tmobile (and their associated prepaid networks) are terrible. ATT has better call quality than VZW, but VZW has better data coverage than ATT and better call coverage in rural areas.

if you don't want to pay for ATT/VZW prepaid, I'd recommend cricket (it runs off of ATT's network).
I stay in luling, but I can deal with tmobile right now to see if they get any better, the service work great at my job, so I won't complain right now. I pay 130$ (this include tax) with free Netflix for 4 lines

ssl0408

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2013
New York
I can’t believe there are still people that are paying Sprint for service. I used them when I was in high school and had my first cell phone. Two decades later, they still suck.

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
Sprint + tmobile gives you GSM + CDMA which should be great coverage. Plus tmobiles new 600mhz band 71 network should be a game changer. When it's in your area.

Lammercy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 4, 2012
Thankfully my company pays for $65 of our wireless bill. This definitely makes it worth making the jump to get away Sprint.

For what it's worth, I'm originally from Houston (another 5 million + city) and the service was just as bad there. This is ridiculous.
[doublepost=1537380751][/doublepost]
746ABC1F-E329-4A52-9DE8-E76CEDBFF374.png
I mean, look at this. Sitting 20 stories up in Downtown Dallas and even went to the bottom to walk around a bit and test. This is unacceptable in 2018.

Reactions: sman789

Ortiz83

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2018
Thankfully my company pays for $65 of our wireless bill. This definitely makes it worth making the jump to get away Sprint.

For what it's worth, I'm originally from Houston (another 5 million + city) and the service was just as bad there. This is ridiculous.
[doublepost=1537380751][/doublepost] View attachment 784000 I mean, look at this. Sitting 20 stories up in Downtown Dallas and even went to the bottom to walk around a bit and test. This is unacceptable in 2018.

You know, I forgot to mention that. So I am charged $165.00 for my 3 lines unlimited with AT&T. But my company gives me $100 a month to go towards that. So I only pay $65 per month plus tax. Gotta love It.

Princejb134

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2012
I'm coming to the point of complete frustration with Sprint after several excruciating years of waiting for service and quality to improve. Wanting to upgrade to the new iPhone Xs from my 7+ but I'm having serious reservations about signing on with Sprint again. I really just don't feel like the savings (for me, single line) is worth it anymore.

Download speed: 2.78 Mbps
Upload speed: 2.07 Mbps
(Dallas, TX)

It's hilarious that it says "web browsing should work..." because at best it takes forever to load a page on safari.

View attachment 782975

My question is should we be expecting a bump in quality/speed when T-Mobile takes over? Or should I just call it quits and hop over to a more reliable network?

left spring 8 years ago for tmobile. Never looking back at their disaster. Tmobile is really fast here in nyc and it actually is faster and more reliable compared to my work phone thats on verizon.

Lammercy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 4, 2012
I think my area might be one of the best for Sprint lol. I just finished the porting over from AT&T.
View attachment 784013

This is intriguing. Where are you located?

Just got off the phone for an hour trying to cancel my services. $300 in credits offered but what good is that when you can’t use the damn thing!?

ectospheno

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2005

I'm just finishing a move from T-Mobile to Verizon this week. I love T-Mobile when I'm in my home town. It is quite fast.

Then you go into a brick or concrete building and nothing. Or you travel and as soon as you leave a highway - nothing.

Last straw was my daughter going to college in upstate New York. I can assure you T-Mobile's upstate New York coverage map is a lie.

Lammercy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 4, 2012
After 24 hours of turning down $300 in credits, I'm excited that the run around is done and that they've unlocked my phone. Heading to Verizon during lunch today.

Sprint has the absolute worst customer service. Screw that entire company, T-Mobile ought to hurry up and take over or Sprint is surely to be defunct. Their reliability is suspect, but even if it wasn't I would leave because the CSR are so incredibly inept and incompetent.

aggie99

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2016
Dallas, TX

[doublepost=1537380751][/doublepost] View attachment 784000 I mean, look at this. Sitting 20 stories up in Downtown Dallas and even went to the bottom to walk around a bit and test. This is unacceptable in 2018.

I’m in mesquite for work and pulling over 110 mbps with Verizon. I have been with Verizon now for a couple months after leaving ATT and am very satisfied. I only left ATT because of congestion issues in the Rockwall and Firewheel areas which is where I’m at most frequently. If you ever go rural at all ATT has the best coverage in Texas but the bad thing is everyone in Texas has ATT and you run into congestion quite frequently in the metro areas. I’ve yet to hit any areas of congestion with Verizon probably due to less subscribers and their small cell buildout. TMO seems to do very well all over DFW and is improving in rural areas but still spotty and a ways to go. Sprint, as you have experienced, is a no go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.