Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brgjoe

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 6, 2014
Central IL, USA.
I am using Sprint.

Recently picked up a newer iPhone 8 Plus. It is Sim free/unlocked.

In order to activate it with Sprint, once my newer iPhone set up, can I move my Sim Card from my older iPhone 8 plus and then have Sprint activate the newer iPhone 8 plus via the web?

Or can I even use my old iPhone 6 Sim Card (once used by me with Sprint a couple of years ago) and move that to the new iPhone 8 Plus and have Sprint activate the phone with that Sim Card in it?

Thanks for any helpful experiences/advice/etc.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Sprint tends to be particular about it's SIM cards. You cannot just swap (but you probably knew that). They have over 14 different SIM cards specific to different devices.

I'd either ask them for a new SIM for an iPhone 8+ or use the one for the 8+ you already have. Don't believe the SIM for the 6 will work.

PS. If you bought from a third party reseller such as Best Buy, Target, etc, keep in mind that once everything is setup your 'unlocked' iPhone will lock to Sprint. That's because of Apple's Reseller Flex policy. If you bought from Apple you don't need to worry about that, it will stay unlocked.

brgjoe

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 6, 2014
Central IL, USA.
Thank you! That was very helpful!

I knew you couldn't easily swap with Sprint like you could other carriers. But I had no idea their SIM cards were as picky as you indicated. So yeah, probably the most simple course of action would be to just use the card from my older 8+ and put it in the newer one. I s'pose it might be a good thing that both are 8+ with 256GB of storage. Only difference is the colors between them.

Unless that info is on that card too. :p

Thanks again for the info!

Reactions: eyoungren
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.