Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acorntoy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Need help from somebody who has sprint please :)

So Sprint has just added LTE in my area, so I have decided to consider jumping ship from Verizon (The ******* "share everything" plans are total crap). I checked Sprints coverage of my area, and it's really good, but the only thing is that I live in a weird area and on the coverage map it says that I will be covered but with "Off-Network roaming" and it's confusing me as the only time i've ever roamed is when i'm out of the country with Verizon.

So long story short: What does "off network roaming" mean in the U.S for sprint? Will I have to pay for each MB, call or will everything be as normal and i'll just be connected to a different carrier that sprint has partnered with to provide more coverage?

ALSO: Please no stupid "Sprint scks wrst data spds ever!!1111" several of my friends have sprint and the 3G they get is on par with the verizon 3G in the area.

emoore

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2003
I wouldn't switch to Sprint if you are going to be roaming where you use the phone a lot. I'm not sure if the plans are the same now but 2 years ago roaming meant you get 300MB of data and up to 800 minutes. You aren't charged extra but if you continue to go over they will eventually kick you off their network. I would go with a carrier that has coverage in your area.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Need help from somebody who has sprint please :)

So Sprint has just added LTE in my area, so I have decided to consider jumping ship from Verizon (The ******* "share everything" plans are total crap). I checked Sprints coverage of my area, and it's really good, but the only thing is that I live in a weird area and on the coverage map it says that I will be covered but with "Off-Network roaming" and it's confusing me as the only time i've ever roamed is when i'm out of the country with Verizon.

So long story short: What does "off network roaming" mean in the U.S for sprint? Will I have to pay for each MB, call or will everything be as normal and i'll just be connected to a different carrier that sprint has partnered with to provide more coverage?

ALSO: Please no stupid "Sprint scks wrst data spds ever!!1111" several of my friends have sprint and the 3G they get is on par with the verizon 3G in the area.
"Off-Network Roaming" means just that. You are roaming off of Sprint's network. Sprint has agreements with other carriers, but depending on the plan you sign your limits on roaming may vary.

The new "Unlimited" plans only allow for 100MB of roaming data. The old Everything Data plans allow 300MB. Sprint generally terminates for two or more months of excessive roaming. In fact, many customers use this as a way to get out of contract ETF free.

Sprint may not be best suited for your needs if your phone will be roaming all the time.

Note that Sprint's maps tend to be highly inaccurate. You may want to look around and ask questions over at s4gru.com. There is a wealth of information over there concerning Sprint.

acorntoy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 25, 2010
"Off-Network Roaming" means just that. You are roaming off of Sprint's network. Sprint has agreements with other carriers, but depending on the plan you sign your limits on roaming may vary.

The new "Unlimited" plans only allow for 100MB of roaming data. The old Everything Data plans allow 300MB. Sprint generally terminates for two or more months of excessive roaming. In fact, many customers use this as a way to get out of contract ETF free.

Sprint may not be best suited for your needs if your phone will be roaming all the time.

Note that Sprint's maps tend to be highly inaccurate. You may want to look around and ask questions over at s4gru.com. There is a wealth of information over there concerning Sprint.

It'll only be roaming at my house where I have wifi, everywhere else in the area gets lte/3G easily.

I hate how all the carriers have crappy maps, I guess I'll just have to ask one of my friends to drop by and see if their phone gets sprint or roams :(

Thanks for the info

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
It'll only be roaming at my house where I have wifi, everywhere else in the area gets lte/3G easily.

I hate how all the carriers have crappy maps, I guess I'll just have to ask one of my friends to drop by and see if their phone gets sprint or roams :(

Thanks for the info
You might be able to get an Airave out of Sprint. That's a small femtocell which acts as a small cell tower in your home. You need to have internet at home though (not dialup). I have one because of the crappy 3G around my house. I whined and Sprint provided it free of charge.

If you do get one and you ever don't need to use it, send it back or they will charge you for the unit.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I wouldn't switch to Sprint if you are going to be roaming where you use the phone a lot. I'm not sure if the plans are the same now but 2 years ago roaming meant you get 300MB of data and up to 800 minutes. You aren't charged extra but if you continue to go over they will eventually kick you off their network. I would go with a carrier that has coverage in your area.

Agreed. I would look at another network.

TheProFTW

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2013
Washington, DC
Roaming means you'll connect to Verizon's network, and only be able to use small amounts of data, or you'll get your service cancelled. Stay with Verizon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.