Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kirkster501

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 20, 2011
Nottingham, UK
Does anyone else have this issue, especially on MacBooks but I have seen it on iMac as well. Different computers, OS's going back several years.
I can be typing in a browser window and suddenly the browser does a back and you lose all your work. Or writing an email, and the email just gets sent incomplete and not spell checked,. Jumping around inside the window. I am 100% NOT inadvertently touching the trackpad.
No rhyme or reason if/when it happens, its almost like there is a ghost present. Always with the Macbook trackpad or the external Magic trackpad. Never with a real mouse. Sometimes it does it when not even near the computer and sitting back.
I have eliminated Bluetooth by turning it off on my Macbook to see fi that was the reason

I still get this problem. Anyone else?

Last edited:

IngoX

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2022
Sweden
I do have this happen from time to time, but I can track the problem (pun intended) to inadvertently touching the trackpad on my MBP. It also happens on an iMac with Magic Trackpad.

Since this is not the case for you I’m 95% convinced it is a ghost. 😉

• Haha
Reactions: smirking

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
I have seen this happen with an old builtin MBPro trackpad. You didn't identify any specific models, so we don't know how old they are.

In one case, the battery in the MBP swelled enough to make the trackpad malfunction. Replaced battery, problem solved.

I've also seen "ghost actions" happen with external devices. In those cases the problem would disappear if a different USB connector was used. My conclusion is that the faulty USB connector wasn't making good electrical contact.

Reactions: Alameda and IngoX
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.