Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ColdFlame87

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2004
Woodland Hills, CA
Hey everyone, i recently got and HP Photosmart printer for my Macbook Pro, I followed procedures on installing it and even istalled the software that came with it. I dont know why but i decided to take a look at the activity monitor and see if there were any programs running from the software i had just installed, there was in fact two HP Event Handler, and another more suspicious one called HPIO Trap Monitor, now I know its not common on macs but seeing these two processes running make me a little suspicious that HP might had installed spyware on my computer. I really dont want this to occur as i really value my privacy. I know i might be over reacting on this but what are the chances that one of those programs are spyware, anybody have any sort of problem with HP printers and macs relating to this?

Fleetwood Mac

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2006
Canada
If any large company like HP was shipping spyware, for any computer let alone Macs, it would be top story news. We live in a paranoid society, and no one likes big brother. Trap monitor sounds like a crash detecotr (for the driver) or maybe a que manager or something like that. Don't worry about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.