Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jusacruiser

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2009
Palm Beach, Florida
I am trying to decide between SquareSpace and WIX.

Which is better? Which is easier to use? Which looks more professional? Which has better customer support?

Please provide an honest evaluation.

Thanks!!

olup

Cancelled
Oct 11, 2011

Which is better? Which is easier to use? Which looks more professional? Which has better customer support?

Thanks!!
Can't say that I've used either; except to look at the templates that are offered. Squarespace's overall design, not only of their templates, would have me lean more towards them though, if I were to use a template.
Going out on a limb here and guess that you're considering both to use for your portfolio?
Without knowing what your project is, it's hard to give a recommendation.

jusacruiser

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2009
Palm Beach, Florida
Can't say that I've used either; except to look at the templates that are offered. Squarespace's overall design, not only of their templates, would have me lean more towards them though, if I were to use a template.
Going out on a limb here and guess that you're considering both to use for your portfolio?
Without knowing what your project is, it's hard to give a recommendation.
[doublepost=1459916852][/doublepost]My project is going to be a blog and I'm going to use templates. Thanks for your response!

felixdelmante

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2016
Honestly, as someone who used to use Squarespace (I haven't had much experience with Wix), I prefer Format.com. When I was making my decision it came down to which company had the lowest introductory price to get my website up, and which makes it easiest for someone who hasn't created a website before to have one that looks professional.

These three criteria were how I ended up with Format:
  • Ease of use, or, how easy or difficult the website's editor is to use. If the program is too difficult and you get frustrated and give up along the way, then it doesn't matter how cheap it is, since you’ll never build your site.
  • Power to build. While cost and intuitiveness are both important, ultimately, you need a platform that offers the tools you will need down the road. If you can’t build the site you want, there’s no reason to select one because it’s cheap or easy, because as I mentioned above, you'll end up not using the site.
  • And lastly, a proven track record. With a lot of these companies, trust is going to go a long way, since if you end up with the website of your dreams, you don't want the company folding and all your hard work going away. Check references, and see who uses what. That will give you assurances that they will probably be around for awhile.

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2015
If you're going to blog use WordPress. It's way more advanced and themes are 300 times better coded than all the junk at WIX and others. Just open a single WIX website and view the source how much JavaScript and Stylesheets or images are loading. It's freaking crazy.

Reactions: jusacruiser

lucidmedia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2008
Wellington, New Zealand
The Wix homepage breaks when I scale my browser window. Every template on Squarespace is fully responsive. Squarespace has a clean, easy interface and a blog module that is dead simple to implement - far easier than setting up a wordpress site. My vote goes to Squarespace, or Webflow...

pxlgk

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2016
San Diego, CA
The Wix homepage breaks when I scale my browser window. Every template on Squarespace is fully responsive. Squarespace has a clean, easy interface and a blog module that is dead simple to implement - far easier than setting up a wordpress site. My vote goes to Squarespace, or Webflow...

Comparing SquareSpace to Webflow is apples to oranges.

SquareSpace is great for those that don't want to learn coding and just needs to quickly spin up a site without "breaking out of the box" for creativity sakes.

Webflow is great for those that know a little bit about HTML & CSS and want to use that knowledge to streamline the process of building a site starting from a template or from a blank page.

Here is a comparison of the two platforms by a self-proclaimed SquareSpace Guru - http://forum.webflow.com/t/webflow-vs-squarespace/22190/2

felixdelmante

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2016
It really depends on what you're looking to accomplish. For me, I actually use Format.com because I want to feature my photography and their gallery feature set is the best. Squarespace is more of a general site builder, which is good for a wide range of things, but can hurt you in specific features that other site builders, like Format, may offer. I think before you get a good answer you need to really break out what features of a site builder are the most important to you.

Gidiyup

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2010
Texas
I've used WIX, Squarespace and Wordpress. I prefer Squarespace. If you want to spend all your time messing around with stuff necesarily you can go with Wordpress. While it give you a lot of flexibility, it can be a pain to maintain. WIX just looks cheap to me and it's not responsive. It doesn't look correct on a mobile device. While Squarespace it not the most customizable its enough for what I need and its easy to maintain.

Thanks!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.