Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

suneun

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 5, 2002
So I got my 933 last week, but I gotta tell you... It's loud.

Three fans blasting are pretty annoying, but at least it shuts up completely when you put it to sleep..

What I wanted to ask was,... I hear this "squeak" which seems to be coming from the superdrive, but might be associated with the hard drive. Has anyone else noticed this noise? It happens fairly regularly, probably once every half hour or so, even when i'm not at my computer and it hasn't fallen asleep yet. I heard it three times while posting this message.

If noone else has heard it, i might call it in to see what Apple can say about it.

buffsldr

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2001
This response is merely anecdotal, but at least you won't think you are the only one... My buddy has the 867 with the superdrive. The first thing I thought when I read the title of your post is "It's got to be his superdrive." I heard the same type sounds (squealish) coming from his drive. I don't trust that pioneer drive so much. I can't tell you why it happens, but the drive is more or less leading edge and the squeals you hear may be the squeals of an envelope pushing. If you dont see performance problems, I guess you got to live with it. But that squealing is obviously two or more mechanical parts that are rubbing against each other and that my friend will lead to a shorter fatigue life for your drive, so you may want to shell out for the apple care plan if you plan on having the beast > 1 year.

Hopefully other owners can provide more specific insight.

Xapplimatic

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2001
California
odd noises.. me too..

My iBook makes these sort of annoying loud click noises all the time from the hard drive.. I'll just be doing my business on the computer than CLICK! CLANK! CLICK!.. I'm not sure if it's more of a clicking noise or a kind of pop-clang noise.. and I have no idea why it does it, but everything seems to work and test fine. I never hear noises like that from my iMac's HD..

Onyxx

macrumors regular
May 5, 2001
Re: odd noises.. me too..

Originally posted by Xapplimatic
My iBook makes these sort of annoying loud click noises all the time from the hard drive.. I'll just be doing my business on the computer than CLICK! CLANK! CLICK!.. I'm not sure if it's more of a clicking noise or a kind of pop-clang noise.. and I have no idea why it does it, but everything seems to work and test fine. I never hear noises like that from my iMac's HD..

yeah those are the read/write heads of your hard drive doing what they do best. Trust me that sound is much preffered to that of the constant whine of some of the laptop hard drives i've had. You could stop those sounds but then the drive wouldn't be of much use anymore would it?

and as for the noisy fans and stuff, ever sat next to a dual processor athlon xp 2000? 3 fans too much for you? try 6! You could also cut down on noise by checking out the numerous ways of remounting you fans with vibration absorbing pads. This stops you chasis from vibrating and causeing much of the noise.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.