Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cleo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 21, 2002
Tampa Bay Area, FL, USA
I know that real mice are supposed to squeak, but what about my Pro Mouse?

I received my new iMac a week ago tomorrow, and within hours the Pro Mouse was squeaking a bit every time I clicked. By now it's gotten so that just slightly changing the pressure on the mouse by moving it causes it to groan slightly, like a door whose hinges need to be oiled.

Am I the only one with this problem? Is there anything I can do about it? It's an amazing mouse, and I'd hate to have to part with it, but this squeaking is driving me mad!

newmanium

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2002
i really think you shouldn't stress yourself trying to fix the problem, rather let apple or whereever you bought your imac fix the problem. as for the squeaking? try feeding it some cheese, it must be hungry ;)

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
hmm...

a squeaky mouse is caused by the rollers correct?

:confused: how would the Pro Mouse do this then?

do u have it on a rough or smooth surface maybe?

cleo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 21, 2002
Tampa Bay Area, FL, USA
Re: hmm...

Originally posted by eyelikeart
a squeaky mouse is caused by the rollers correct?

:confused: how would the Pro Mouse do this then?

do u have it on a rough or smooth surface maybe?

No, it's actually the button that squeaks, every time it is clicked or even when light pressure (like my hand :)) is applied.

cleo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 21, 2002
Tampa Bay Area, FL, USA
Originally posted by newmanium
i really think you shouldn't stress yourself trying to fix the problem, rather let apple or whereever you bought your imac fix the problem. as for the squeaking? try feeding it some cheese, it must be hungry ;)

Doh! There I go again, forgetting to feed the animals. :) I think I will stop by the Apple store this weekend and see if they have the appropriate vintage cheddar to solve the problem. :)

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Whatever you do, don't go looking for cheese at Monty Python's Cheese Shop! After the clerk cheerfully insists that he has all sorts of cheeses, and you rattle off the names of every cheese created, and the clerk finally admits he has no cheese at all, you'll have to shoot him! :D

(What a senseless waste of human life...)

suneun

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2002
I, too, had a squeaky mouse

I got my new tower on Feb 6th, and the mouse squeaked a lot when I pressed the button... But these days, I don't hear it anymore. I think it's gotten a lot better. So, if you're not too frustrated by it, you can just wait it out...

however, my harddrive ALSO squeaks, and that is driving me nuts (933mhz). I called Apple finally, and all they could tell me was that they had no idea why it was squeaking. They gave me some Apple Service Providers' numbers, and I called them up. Haven't dropped off the computer yet, because it's such a delay once I hand it over (2-5 days, depending where I drop it off). So frustrating, since it's still quite a useable machine! But, just in case, I'll probably bring it in about the squeaking drive on Monday (it sort of squeals when the harddrive starts accessing, sometimes, on average of 5 squeaks an hr)

blackpeter

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2001
- AppleCare Protection: $250.

- Replacment Hard Drive: $307.

- Saving $57. on the repair + getting a newer/faster drive: Priceless

There are some things in life that just don't break. For everything else there's AppleCare.

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
adjust the tension twisty thing on the bottom that should do the trick
It happens on mine

buffsldr

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2001
Applecare

Is applecare really that good for a laptop? Anyone here who does or doesnt recommend it?

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Re: Applecare

Originally posted by buffsldr
Is applecare really that good for a laptop? Anyone here who does or doesnt recommend it?

two words... HELL YEAH!!

I have had laptops at work have problems at between 2 and 3 years old. If they have the Applecare then they are fixed for FREE. Apple ships you a box, you call up and have it picked up, then they fix it. Doesn't cost you a penny more. Flat rates for laptop repairs start at around $300 with some things being more.

Bite the bullet, get the protection before your laptop is 1 year old (where the factory warranty runs out) and you are safe for another 2. Money well spent, considering how much you spent on the computer.

Gelfin

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2001
Denver, CO
I am not actually recommending you do this, as it will probably void your warranty, but if I had a mouse doing that, I would suspect that the housing isn't fit together quite right. Before deciding it needs to be exchanged, I would take the thing apart and reassemble it, making sure everything fits snugly and that all the fasteners are tight.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.