Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rainshadow

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2017
This is NOT a “gate” and it hasn’t affected performance, however, I was wondering what the hive mind thought of this.

When I pick up my 12.9 iPP (2021) I can pretty regularly get a light “click” as if the case and screen are being squeezed enough to “click” together or on something inside. Generally below the camera module towards the center of the device.

At first, I thought it was my ring hitting the aluminum or accidentally hitting the volume buttons, but that’s not the case. I can repeat the noise quite consistently though not every time by picking it up around the camera housing.

Just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience or had any thoughts on this.

If this was a cheap plastic android device, it wouldn’t even be a surprise but generally the apple products I’ve bought are solid (unless of course they are just bad - airpod pros crackling - returned). This is just - annoying? But I don’t know I would even put it that high. But, high enough to type this post.

Thoughts?

AJB1971

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2011
It could be that the screen is not properly adhered (glued) to the chassis. I had a similar problem with an iPad Pro 9.7”. At least that's what I think the issue was caused by.

What you can hear is it sticking down when pressure is applied and then peeling off. You might have to turn the volume up to hear it -

When I looked closely, I could see that the screen was not aligned correctly in the chassis. There was a gap on one edge and this may have contributed to the issue -

IMG_20160504_143106.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Rainshadow

Rainshadow

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2017
It could be that the screen is not properly adhered (glued) to the chassis. I had a similar problem with an iPad Pro 9.7”. At least that's what I think the issue was caused by.

What you can hear is it sticking down when pressure is applied and then peeling off. You might have to turn the volume up to hear it -
View attachment 1955890

When I looked closely, I could see that the screen was not aligned correctly in the chassis. There was a gap on one edge and this may have contributed to the issue -

View attachment 1955893
That’s very similar. I’ll mess with it some more and see, but it hasn’t sounded like it clicks on release. More like it clicks when I squeeze, but still. That’s the sound.

Did you ever bring it up with apple at all? If so, what did they say?

AJB1971

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2011
That’s very similar. I’ll mess with it some more and see, but it hasn’t sounded like it clicks on release. More like it clicks when I squeeze, but still. That’s the sound.

Did you ever bring it up with apple at all? If so, what did they say?

I tried putting some books on top of the iPad in the hope that the weight would help the screen stick down, but that only worked for a short time. In the end, I sent it to Apple for repair and they replaced it.

The video and photo above were attached to the repair request - I’d had a previous experience of Apple returning a faulty iPad when they couldn’t see what the problem was and wanted to avoid the same thing happening again. I’d suggest you do the same as it’s not the easiest thing to replicate, especially in a noisy shop.

It’s possible that the misaligned screen was slightly bowed - the glass is very thin - and that’s why it wouldn’t stick down.

kallyq

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2010
I tried putting some books on top of the iPad in the hope that the weight would help the screen stick down, but that only worked for a short time. In the end, I sent it to Apple for repair and they replaced it.

The video and photo above were attached to the repair request - I’d had a previous experience of Apple returning a faulty iPad when they couldn’t see what the problem was and wanted to avoid the same thing happening again. I’d suggest you do the same as it’s not the easiest thing to replicate, especially in a noisy shop.

It’s possible that the misaligned screen was slightly bowed - the glass is very thin - and that’s why it wouldn’t stick down.
How did you attach the video? Was it on the website? I have the same problem along with a really weak screen that flexes even with light pressure. I took it in to the store but they said the flexing was normal. Now it is doing this click thing too.

AJB1971

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2011
How did you attach the video? Was it on the website? I have the same problem along with a really weak screen that flexes even with light pressure. I took it in to the store but they said the flexing was normal. Now it is doing this click thing too.
If you click on the 'More options' icon from the menu above (three vertical dots), you will see an 'Insert video' icon.

There may be some size limit as I think I had problems uploading the original video. I compressed it in Quicktime by exporting it at 720p (File - Export as).

kallyq

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2010
If you click on the 'More options' icon from the menu above (three vertical dots), you will see an 'Insert video' icon.

There may be some size limit as I think I had problems uploading the original video. I compressed it in Quicktime by exporting it at 720p (File - Export as).
Hi, just wanted to stop back and say thank you to you for posting this! I was able to finally get my iPad replaced by using the mail in option. Mine had the squeeze click and vibrating grey marks with any pressure. Store said it was normal. I am so happy that mailing it in worked. No issues with the new one so far :)

safarchand

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2011
Thanks for posting this. I bought iPad Pro 11 (2021 model) this week and noticed exact same issue. I would like to get a replacement but I wonder whether the replacement device would have same issue.

Reactions: Rainshadow
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.