Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mkuzmenko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2013
Hi gang,

Long time fan of the forums and recent addict of the Apple Watch section.

I recieved my 42 SS WSB last Thursday, and today I noticed that on one corner of the watch I can feel the edge of the SS where it meets the sapphire drastically more than the others. It's a bit of an odd issue and the watch hasn't seen one fall or any other damage. I'm a long time watch wearer and am probably even more careful with this watch, given its easiness for the SS to show scratches.

I noticed the difference when touching the sapphire and swiping through glances, the the top left corner (left hand wearers) has more of an edge on the SS than the others corners. It's almost feels and appears as if the sapphire is slightly shifted to the right side. The edge is noticeable because it feels like a snag against your finger tip. It looks like a small gap up close in that corner compared to the others. Again, no drops and bumps into anything with the watch.

Curious if anyone has noticed something similar or if this would be something within tolerance specs. A call to Apple has me with a return label to send back and wait for a replacement, because I did not purchase AppleCare+ with the watch. I'm slightly unhappy that I would have to wait 7-10 days for a replacement, given my order was made in early April and just recieved the watch this past Thursday.

It's a bit hard to take a photo of the edge, but I'll post my best close-up.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
The screen is only held on with adhesive. Maybe it wasn't seated properly?
If you press hard can you make the gap smaller?

Mkuzmenko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2013
The screen is only held on with adhesive. Maybe it wasn't seated properly?
If you press hard can you make the gap smaller?

I wasn't sure how it was held it place. I figured it was more fitted into the SS casing to keep sealed for water resistance. I suppose I can try to push the sapphire towards the corner with the gap.

Will report back.

Mkuzmenko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2013
After looking at the watch more, the sapphire is off center and slightly more on the crown side of the watch. No amount of trying to push it one way or the other moves the sapphire in anyway on watch. I'm sending it back, because the gap on the side appears just big enough for water or dust to get through. What a disappointment for $623 and and month and a half wait. Oh well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.