Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

userdrone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2018
uk
Hello,

Background:
I'm the proud and despondent owner of a Macbook Air that's apparently died after I forgot it on the garden table for the time it took to be rained on... The machine won't boot, won't talk to me when I ask for forgiveness either-- sadly, I think she's done.

Machine:
All I know is that on the back of it the model is described as A1645 EMC 2631. I think this is a mid-2013 or early-2014.

What I'm trying to do:
At this stage, I am hoping I can get the SSD drive out and recover my data. For this, I understand I need to find an adapter into which to plug the SSD and that will allow me to stick it into a USB port on my MacBook Pro as an external drive.

Question:
i can't manage finding an adapter that suits. I found a product on Amazon but it's for 2012 models of the A1645 persuasion and I'm told this is not going to work.

Would anybody be in a position to either

- point at the right product I need to be looking for
- hep me understand how to figure out the actual specs of the SSD if I need to organise my search differently (something else than google 'Macbook air A1645 SSD adapter to USB")
- point at a documented walkthrough of what I'm trying to do
- wave a magic wand and make it better

With many thanks and kind regards,

PS: I'm a newbie here, I looked up the forum a bit but can't find what I'm looking for and add to this that I don't really know what I'm looking for -- thanks for your kind understanding.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
oWC rules

your macbook air is tough than you think
dry that out, when dry, plug the baby up, if you see green and no smoke (kidding) press that button!
if that does not work, use your special pentalobe screwdriver to take off th cover, and set a small flat head screwdriver on 2 pins near the keyboard connection ribbon for 5 seconds that should start your precious macbook air.

let me know if you help or photos explaining this fun procedure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: userdrone

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I don't recommend supplying any type of power to the machine in its current state.

I recommend removing the bottom casing, disconnecting the battery, removing as many components as possible, examining the board for any moisture or corrosion, cleaning the affect areas with pure isopropyl alcohol, leave the machine in pieces for a couple of days, reassemble, and test.

When the liquids dry, they often leave behind residue which starts the corrosion process. Some machines will work after being off for a few days but components can fail over weeks or even months as the corrosion worsens.

userdrone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2018
uk
The SSD from a mid-2013 Air will fit in any Air 11"/13" from mid-2013 to today or MBP 13" from Late 2013 to 2015 which means you could recover the data using any of these compatible models by installing the SSD into the machine. You can then use target mode or boot the machine with your SSD.

OWC sells and external enclosure too: https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MAU3ENPRPCI/

My MBP is 2011 so I suspect that's not an option for internal swap. Hoping to use it to access the external SSD.

OWC seems the way to go then. But 100 quids... i'm looking at it as last resort.

Naively, I thought it should be doable to find the bare minimum (some adapter soldered to a green board) for 10. Shouldn't be impossible to find, right? I just have no real clue about the specs for that.
[doublepost=1534144147][/doublepost]
oWC rules

your macbook air is tough than you think
dry that out, when dry, plug the baby up, if you see green and no smoke (kidding) press that button!
if that does not work, use your special pentalobe screwdriver to take off th cover, and set a small flat head screwdriver on 2 pins near the keyboard connection ribbon for 5 seconds that should start your precious macbook air.

let me know if you help or photos explaining this fun procedure.

OK, I'm making this last resort -1, just before I buy an OWC, I'd make the cat's suggestion below -2 and may try cleaning up the components first -- with little hope.
[doublepost=1534144524][/doublepost]
I don't recommend supplying any type of power to the machine in its current state.

I recommend removing the bottom casing, disconnecting the battery, removing as many components as possible, examining the board for any moisture or corrosion, cleaning the affect areas with pure isopropyl alcohol, leave the machine in pieces for a couple of days, reassemble, and test.

When the liquids dry, they often leave behind residue which starts the corrosion process. Some machines will work after being off for a few days but components can fail over weeks or even months as the corrosion worsens.

To be clear regarding liquids:
The water damage occurred more than 3 months ago. The machine has sat for that long, although I've occasionally tried to plug it and see if it'd giggle in moments of extreme loneliness a few times. So I assume the drying is done (could be wrong of course).

I could try the cleaning --- I've never been high on isopropyl son worth a try too!

In it's current state, the machine when plugged is lifeless. The little light on the power connector is orange. If I press the power button for a few seconds I hear a faint mechanical noise (some switch clicking) but then nothing happens.

It just is very unnerving to think of taking the SSD out and throwing away the rest as the only problem this machine had until I screwed it up was with its batteries. (I know, moaning now...)

[EDIT: Oh you're both cats! I meant I'll try what white fluffy cat said first then maybe what balck lazy cat says then get a fancy external case in that order]

[EDIT2: Good lord, I just removed the bottom casing to have a quick look. The electronics I can see seems alright although mostly lots of furrballs accumulated on various bits, these seem dry. But then the largest black covers with compartments have oozed gooey stuff on some borders that is still sticky to the touch. Weird (and gross). I have absolutely no confidence in what I'm doing, electronics is a kind of magic to me but I'll get a bottle of isopropyl and apply my OCD skills to cleaning what i can. If anything, I'll throw away a very clean machine...]

Last edited:

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
i used rubbing alcohol to clean the mother/logic board.
that safely vaporates and removes residue on the components.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.