Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ayeying

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
So, when I first got this Rev C, I was shooting up at 60MB/s+ of write speed very easily. Read speed also the same.

Now after using it for about 3 months now, I'm dropped to a crap of 23MB/s of write speed and about 30MB/s of read speed.

Anyone know a good way to recondition the SSD? My external 1TB running off of a USB gets 35MB/s and that thing's 90% full.

NC MacGuy

macrumors 603
Feb 9, 2005
The good side of the grass.
I'm almost into a year of my Gen.B and it's nearly the same as when new according to X Bench. I've even been down to 3GB of free space a few times.

Today:

screen-capture.jpg

Last Oct.:

screen-capture-1.jpg

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
My speeds are much much higher than yours. What are you doing to it? Is it like 100% full or something? I have never heard of that...

ayeying

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
My speeds are much much higher than yours. What are you doing to it? Is it like 100% full or something? I have never heard of that...

No, It's around 60% full on the Mac side and 40% full on the Windows side partitioned as 50/50. I'm running virtual machines and software development, nothing too demanding.

There's a good article over on the performance guide on how to recondition an SSD on Mac:

http://macperformanceguide.com/Storage-SSD-Reconditioning.html

Yeah, I saw that post, but I'm not entirely sure if it'll work... I want to try a free method (if available) first.

Furthermore, the SSD is creating latency spikes for me in Windows XP/Vista/7 while a normal hard drive is fine, even the slow 4200RPM. Right now, I feel like using a 4200 RPM as I did with my old Rev A is better than the SSD during Windows use.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
No, It's around 60% full on the Mac side and 40% full on the Windows side partitioned as 50/50. I'm running virtual machines and software development, nothing too demanding.

Yeah, I saw that post, but I'm not entirely sure if it'll work... I want to try a free method (if available) first.

Furthermore, the SSD is creating latency spikes for me in Windows XP/Vista/7 while a normal hard drive is fine, even the slow 4200RPM. Right now, I feel like using a 4200 RPM as I did with my old Rev A is better than the SSD during Windows use.

Are you running XP? That can ruin your SSD according to articles I have read in the past. It's not designed for SSD, and it can ruin an SSD's performance nearly instantly according to some I have read.

I think your Windows is probably the problem. Definitely don't feel you could blame the Mac side. All of us with MBAs with SSDs seem well off with our SSD.

ayeying

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
Are you running XP? That can ruin your SSD according to articles I have read in the past. It's not designed for SSD, and it can ruin an SSD's performance nearly instantly according to some I have read.

I think your Windows is probably the problem. Definitely don't feel you could blame the Mac side. All of us with MBAs with SSDs seem well off with our SSD.

No, I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate downloaded from MSDN. I have this problem in all 3 versions of windows. XP, Vista and 7.

I disabled Bootcamp.exe or KBDMGR.exe and while the latency is dropped, the spikes are coming from the drive accessing files for write. The spikes are coming from the SSD no doubt.

I don't blame the Mac's side because I don't have this problem on the mac side. Never did with any SSD, only windows running SSD gives me latency spikes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.