Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

camelia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2015
Mexico City
Hello,

My SDD of my rMBP 15" Mid 2014 died, I don't have the money to buy a new one, but I do have an older internal HDD and an Extenal HDD Enclosure, can I install macOS Mojave in the HDD and continue working? :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

If yes any video in YouTube that show me How to???

Thanks
Camelia

hhd.JPG

Last edited:

currahee2100

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2009
https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/S3DAPT4MB05/ ? :cool:
Instructions:
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+15-Inch+Retina+Display+Mid+2014+SSD+Replacement/27694

You should be able to find a T5 torx screwdriver from any hardware store. Usually it says on the label on the front or back if there's a T5 screw or not.

Personally I never remove the battery connector. If you want to do it, get an old credit card or a membership card thats made out of plastic to pop it out. You need to be careful with it though.

Should be pretty easy, unscrew the back cover, unscrew the screw holding the SSD in place, replace it, screw it back, screw the back cover back on. You insert the SSD in a 90 degree angle (if it's like most things) and then press it down.

Run in recovery mode to download OS X again.

camelia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2015
Mexico City
https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/S3DAPT4MB05/ ? :cool:
Instructions:
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+15-Inch+Retina+Display+Mid+2014+SSD+Replacement/27694

You should be able to find a T5 torx screwdriver from any hardware store. Usually it says on the label on the front or back if there's a T5 screw or not.

Personally I never remove the battery connector. If you want to do it, get an old credit card or a membership card thats made out of plastic to pop it out. You need to be careful with it though.

Should be pretty easy, unscrew the back cover, unscrew the screw holding the SSD in place, replace it, screw it back, screw the back cover back on. You insert the SSD in a 90 degree angle (if it's like most things) and then press it down.

Run in recovery mode to download OS X again.

First I live in Mexico City
Second I don't have the money at this moment to buy a new SDD

My question is IF I can boot from External HDD

Thanks
Camelia

camelia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2015
Mexico City
Gotcha. Looks like apple has a support article:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202796

Might give it a try...

My SDD of my rMBP 15" Mid 2014 died, I don't have the money to buy a new one, but I do have an older internal HDD and an Extenal HDD Enclosure, can I install macOS Mojave in the HDD and continue working? :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Thanks
Camelia

camelia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2015
Mexico City

Thanks
Camelia

Any video in YouTube that show me How to???

Thanks
Camelia

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Don't know about YouTube video to install macOS on an external drive, but it's pretty simple:
1. Your existing HDD, in a USB enclosure. (The hard drive will be really slow, but if that's all you have ... ) You will need to purchase that USB enclosure, but that's easy to find. Connect the USB drive (with the HDD installed in that drive) to a USB port on your MBPro.
2. Boot to internet recovery (Reboot, while holding Option-Command-r), and install OS X, with the external drive as the destination for the install. The OS X files will be downloaded, then copied to the external drive. Your MBPro will then finish installing the system, and finally, you will get to the new user setup. If you have a backup of your SSD (I hope you do), you can restore from that backup. It will take some time, depending on the speed of your internet connection, and the speed of the HDD. Normally, the initial system install and setup would take around an hour. Restoring files from a backup might take a bit longer, depending on how much space is needed.
THAT process will give you an older version of OS X. Once you are running, you can update to Mojave.
And - #2 would be much quicker if you already have a USB flash drive, or even a separate partition on a hard drive with the Mojave installer as a bootable drive. With that, you can install directly to Mojave on your external drive, without needing to do an older system install from Internet Recovery

Reactions: camelia

camelia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2015
Mexico City
Don't know about YouTube video to install macOS on an external drive, but it's pretty simple:
1. Your existing HDD, in a USB enclosure. (The hard drive will be really slow, but if that's all you have ... ) You will need to purchase that USB enclosure, but that's easy to find. Connect the USB drive (with the HDD installed in that drive) to a USB port on your MBPro.
2. Boot to internet recovery (Reboot, while holding Option-Command-r), and install OS X, with the external drive as the destination for the install. The OS X files will be downloaded, then copied to the external drive. Your MBPro will then finish installing the system, and finally, you will get to the new user setup. If you have a backup of your SSD (I hope you do), you can restore from that backup. It will take some time, depending on the speed of your internet connection, and the speed of the HDD. Normally, the initial system install and setup would take around an hour. Restoring files from a backup might take a bit longer, depending on how much space is needed.
THAT process will give you an older version of OS X. Once you are running, you can update to Mojave.
And - #2 would be much quicker if you already have a USB flash drive, or even a separate partition on a hard drive with the Mojave installer as a bootable drive. With that, you can install directly to Mojave on your external drive, without needing to do an older system install from Internet Recovery

Great

Thank you so much!!

If I have any problem I will post back, but your instructions are excellent :cool:

Came

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.