Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

westrock2000

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 18, 2013
This is not a question, but more for anyone else that is searching for information like I was.

This is on a new base Mac Mini that came with single 500GB drive.

I bought the OWC Data Doubler and installed an 256GB SSD in addition to a Seagate 750GB Momentus Hybrid drive. I wanted the drives to be independent of each other and not as a Fusion drive. I want to use the SSD for strictly music files.

Disk Utility no matter the source (live operating system, install DVD, USB installer) would not allow the SSD drive to be formatted as any HFS variants (Mac OS X Extended Journaled, etc). It would let me format the drive as FAT or exFAT no problem.

When trying to use HFS it would error out and say "File system formatter failed".

Eventually I ended up taking the drive out putting it in a USB enclosure and it formatted 1st time no problem. I was then able to put the drive back in the Mini and everything worked perfect.

I believe the issue is that the Mini is expecting that if an SSD & HDD are installed that it needs to be setup as Fusion (which is tried to get me do a couple times). I think that's why it would fail to format the SSD as it's own separate partition while installed in the Mini. And that's why it would do exFAT no problem, because that is not part of the Fusion setup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.