Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

giul

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2019
Hi everyone, new user here from Italy.
I was wondering which SSD I should use for my MacBook Pro 15 mid 2014.
I'm currently using the original 250GB, but I would like to replace it with a bigger one because in the future I need to install in parallel Windows 10 using bootcamp.

I would like to use an adaptor to fit the most common PCIe M.2 shaped SSDs because they are cheaper and easier to find online.
Which adaptor should I choose?
I read online that the NVMe SSDs will cause the computer to loose the sleep function, but I want to keep that functionality, so I thought that a normal and slower SSD like the original AHCI would be fine for me. Its speeds are 655 MB/s in writing and 700 MB/s in reading. Is there a SSD with these specs? I don't wanna lose the hibernation functionality.
Thanks everyone in advance.

TGM85

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2005
There's a 128 page thread on this subject to be found here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/upgrading-2013-2014-macbook-pro-ssd-to-m-2-nvme.2034976/

On a 2014 MBP you will lose the hibernation functionality unless you either buy an original Apple SSD or flash the bootrom.

I personally upgraded my 2015 MBP from 128 GB to 480 GB using a Transcend Jetdrive 850 (no need for an adapter, fully plug and play - but more expensive) and I am very happy with the result.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
There's a 128 page thread on this subject to be found here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/upgrading-2013-2014-macbook-pro-ssd-to-m-2-nvme.2034976/

On a 2014 MBP you will lose the hibernation functionality unless you either buy an original Apple SSD or flash the bootrom.

I personally upgraded my 2015 MBP from 128 GB to 480 GB using a Transcend Jetdrive 850 (no need for an adapter, fully plug and play - but more expensive) and I am very happy with the result.

I miss the ExpressCard SSD from my 2008 MBP - nice solution.

I've looked at the JetDrive and you get slower performance but extra storage without opening up the laptop. It would be nice if there were 1 TB solutions too. I think that the max is 400 or 500 right now. I was looking at the Corsair 1 TB Thumb Drive which is supposed to be super-high performance. The downside is having to plug it in.

For now I've moved stuff to my home cloud that I don't need that often.

x34

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2014
Hi everyone, new user here from Italy.
I was wondering which SSD I should use for my MacBook Pro 15 mid 2014.
I'm currently using the original 250GB, but I would like to replace it with a bigger one because in the future I need to install in parallel Windows 10 using bootcamp.

I would like to use an adaptor to fit the most common PCIe M.2 shaped SSDs because they are cheaper and easier to find online.
Which adaptor should I choose?
I read online that the NVMe SSDs will cause the computer to loose the sleep function, but I want to keep that functionality, so I thought that a normal and slower SSD like the original AHCI would be fine for me. Its speeds are 655 MB/s in writing and 700 MB/s in reading. Is there a SSD with these specs? I don't wanna lose the hibernation functionality.
Thanks everyone in advance.

i have the same macbook as you and i use a crucial p1 now with an kalea adapter. works well with no power drain like samsung ssds.
also hibernate mode 3 still works like with apple ssd without any problem.

giul

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2019
Thank you for the answers, I'll go check that thread.

i have the same macbook as you and i use a crucial p1 now with an kalea adapter. works well with no power drain like samsung ssds.
also hibernate mode 3 still works like with apple ssd without any problem.

I just found the adaptor you use, I saved it.
This is strange, I read that NVMe SSDs like yours are in conflict with hibernate mode when used in late 2013 and mid 2014 machines. In my macbook is active the option 3 in hibernatemode.
What read/write speeds did you reach? I am ok with the original SSD performace, I prefer reliability to the maximum speed.

x34

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2014
I just found the adaptor you use, I saved it.
This is strange, I read that NVMe SSDs like yours are in conflict with hibernate mode when used in late 2013 and mid 2014 machines. In my macbook is active the option 3 in hibernatemode.
What read/write speeds did you reach? I am ok with the original SSD performace, I prefer reliability to the maximum speed.

hibernate 3 should be fine on yours too i think.
i prefer reliability too that's why i went with the crucial p1 because there's no power drain.
speed is up, i think somewhere of up to 800/1550 or something... i did check only once.

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Hibernate mode 25 will not work with a 2013 or 2014 MacBook.

Hibernate mode 0 or 3 will work depending on the drive and MacBook.

Last edited:
Reactions: hjdddzaahjdddzaa

ondrejz

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2019
Same laptop here (11,3) I think. Bought both the Sabrent Rocket and 970 Evo (check the huge thread on your options). Speed apparently won't reach half of what 2015 users are getting, but it performs comparable to the original drive - no noticeable difference. A bonus of it running slower seems to be it doesn't overheat like people are mentioning.

Really the only concern is power consumption. The 970 drains my battery like crazy. The Sabrent seems to less so but is also slightly slower at times - I could just be imagining it though.

My battery was replaced, so this isn't as big of a concern for me. If you're still rocking the 2014 battery, this might be an issue.

I have hibernate set to 0, and it works fine. I can close the lid, open it, let it sit and no crashing, no battery drain I notice. I don't really know why it's an issue or what it was used for - everything seems the same.

TarSand

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2019
Apologies for posting this in another forum as well... Hi everyone. Still confused. Apologies. Is the Samsung 970 EV Plus working for folks? I have mid 2014 MBpro 15" Retina 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7. Based on what I have read here, I think I have narrowed down to either the Samsung 970 Plus, the Western Digital WD Black SN750 or Sabrent 2TB. Any advice on which? Also, which adapter specifically? The Sintechs on Amazon specifically say they won't work with the Samsung 970 Plus.... Help I am out of space!

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
The 970 Plus was giving problems to some users. I'm not sure if the issue had been resolved with a SSD firmware update. The Samsung's are known to produce more heat and have higher battery drain.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.