Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
I had El Capitan on this iMac what felt like forever. The HD was showing signs of failure about a month ago (SLOOOOW boot up, mouse stuttering, erratic behavior, "chugging" of the HD.) I backed everything up, installed the SSD. No problem, it feels great now. I then took the dive and clean installed Sierra. Again, no problem, OS, iMac runs smooth, fast.

I'm trying to see if High Sierra is worth it now. I've seen some benefits with the new file system, SSD and older iMacs. I also see articles "why bother?" High Sierra is not a major upgrade from Sierra. Since my iMac is so old, outdated BT, a lot of features are not compatible with my other Apple devices. (I've looked into this 4.0 BT dongles that can make an older iMac use AirDrop, continuity, etc...but for some these dongles just don't work)

So..any opinions, your experiences, benefits with the upgrade?
DOES an "ancient" iMac like mine benefit with this upgrade?

Or should I now take the approach of "don't fix it, if it ain't broke."

Of course I would LOVE Mojave - (dark mode, other features especially) I know theres a way...but that just feels too risky since this is my main computer.

Brian33

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
USA (Virginia)
Sierra will stop getting security patches sooner -- maybe this fall(?). On my 2011 MacBook Pro I recently went from El Capitan directly to High Sierra (the latest macOS it will support) for that reason.

Reactions: PhillyGuy72

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
Sierra will stop getting security patches sooner -- maybe this fall(?). On my 2011 MacBook Pro I recently went from El Capitan directly to High Sierra (the latest macOS it will support) for that reason.
That was another reason why I updated to Sierra, no updates for El Capitan.
Sierra just had an update a week or 2 ago, glad it's still supported....for now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.