Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jcpelaez

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2019
Hello! I have this issue. I tried some installation in a new SSD I bought then it got corrupted so I formated it. Many times actually, but still booting a macOS Installer partition that takes the screen to a (stop, deny) sign, so it doesn't boot with the apple, then everytime I turn the Mac on I have to choose my start up disk.

I really don't know how this is happening since I already formated the disk many times.

Hope you can help!

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2009
Netherlands
Hello! I have this issue. I tried some installation in a new SSD I bought then it got corrupted so I formated it. Many times actually, but still booting a macOS Installer partition that takes the screen to a (stop, deny) sign, so it doesn't boot with the apple, then everytime I turn the Mac on I have to choose my start up disk.

I really don't know how this is happening since I already formated the disk many times.

Hope you can help!

From what I read you got a running MacOS system? If so, do the following:

start a terminal and type: diskutil list
look which is your new SSD which should be something /dev/diskXXX (disk indentifier)
Follow this article http://osxdaily.com/2016/08/30/erase-disk-command-line-mac/

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
Make sure you do not just erase the volume, but the whole drive. If you are just seeing Volumes in the Disk Utility the hidden ones are not shown.
In Disk Utility select "Show All Devices" under the View menu. You will see the actual disks with their Containers and Volumes. Select the device that is your target drive and select Erase.

Reactions: kohlson
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.