Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 8, 2008
What is the difference between these SSD options? (See attached.)

Attachments

• IMG_1544.jpeg
    IMG_1544.jpeg
    114.8 KB · Views: 85
Apr 12, 2023
Hmmm, not sure. Do you have brand name and model numbers for each? I just installed 2 xpg 2tb drives in each of my main systems and they are super fast.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
What is the difference between these SSD options? (See attached.)
4x4 means you get 4 gen 4 lanes to transmit the data to and from the SSD, so in theory you should get at about 8GB/s data transmission TLC is the type of NAND being used. I prefer TLC over QLC since it supposed to lasts longer

The final option is pretty self evident, you're buying a SSD that self encrypts. I'm not really familiar with them, so I can't say if that is worth the extra cost.

cthompson94

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2022
SoCal
I would personally go with the 4x4 one. As @maflynn briefly described although PCIe can support faster speeds than the 8GB/s, I imagine that since they are the same price it would more than likely be the same speed (hard to say for sure since the other two it specifically states 4x4), but possibly using gen 3 instead of gen 4. The self-encrypting one seems cool not really sure how it works or how possibly troublesome it could be (especially if it is encryption that is ran though a program that the computer would come with) so unless you feel you need constant encryption on all your storage you can always just create something like an encrypted folder or maybe even a partition of encrypted storage.

Reactions: ghanwani
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.