Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cherrycat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2018
I'm looking to buy an iMac 27" 5k 2017 and I'm torn between two options:

1. i5 3.4 GHz 4GB video memory, 512GB SSD - 3000$
2. i5 3.8GHz 8GB video memory, 2TB fusion (128GB SSD) - 2600$ (it is currently on sale)

I hear everyone saying that going full SSD is much better than a fusion drive, but is the difference that big that it can justify getting an i5 3.4GHz 512GB SSD over an i5 3.8 GHz 2TB fusion (128GB SSD) AND paying 400$ more?
Also, if I get the 2TB fusion, I might get an external SSD as I hear they are faster than internal HDDs (that is in the case I find the iMac to be slow... which I kind of doubt anyway?)

I'm an illustrator working mainly for print (so larger files than agerage I suppose) in Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator and planning to use iMovie and FCP in the near future. I won't be editing 4k footage anytime soon. I'm also upgrading from a very slow and outdated Windows PC that I'm currently using.

I would love to hear your advice! Thanks!

mj_

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2017
Austin, TX
My advice, as someone who was surprised how well even the 1TB Fusion Drive actually performs in the real world: get the $2,600 model with 2TB Fusion Drive and use it for a few weeks. If you notice slowdowns due to the Fusion Drive get an external 500 GB SSD (Samsung T5 for example) and use it instead. At the end of the day you'll save $300 but end up with a higher-specced machine. The SSD certainly won't be faster than an internal one - in fact it'll be slower. But you won't be able to notice the difference.

Fusion Drives aren't half as bad as people in the tech bubble on the internet make them out to be. Give them a chance, you might end up being perfectly satisfied with it. I was very skeptical at first, too but ended up getting an amazing deal on a 2017 5K iMac base model ($1,300 + tax) so I went for it. Fortunately, I didn't get an external SSD right away because truth be told I'm perfectly fine with the FD for my everyday work.

Once you're out of warranty you can always do what @tubeexperience suggested and open it up to replace the internal hard drive with a fast SSD.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
I'd go with the higher spec'd machine that's on sale. You'll be fine for now with the fusion drive. If you keep the machine for a long time you can upgrade the hard drive later.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
Get the better spec but do not get anything hybrid. Either spend the extra for SSD or buy your own external and boot off of TB3.

killhippie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2016
UK
Never mind. I already comment on this.
Go spend $2600 then rip it apart and watch how much help Apple will give you... I have to say just because you like ripping iMacs apart does not mean everyone else wants to potentially void the warranty no matter what you keep saying.

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2016
Go spend $2600 then rip it apart and watch how much help Apple will give you... I have to say just because you like ripping iMacs apart does not mean everyone else wants to potentially void the warranty no matter what you keep saying.

This isn't rocket science. It's just requires follow instructions.

Of cause, like most things, if you break it, the warranty is voided.

cherrycat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2018
Thank you everyone for your suggestions!!! I've decided to go for the i5 3.8 GHz 2TB fusion (128GB SSD) 27" 5k 2017 iMac! I had to make a very quick decision, otherwise I wouldn't have had a second opportunity to get it for that low price (2600$) anytime soon.

I'm pretty sure it's going to work very smoothly and if I ever feel like I need extra speed I will get an external SSD, although I kind of doubt that considering I'm very used to working on a outdated and slow machine.
[doublepost=1529946865][/doublepost]
Where are you?
Australia?

For $400, I'd take the 2tb fusion drive.
Thank you, that's what I did! I'm in Europe!
[doublepost=1529947093][/doublepost]
My advice, as someone who was surprised how well even the 1TB Fusion Drive actually performs in the real world: get the $2,600 model with 2TB Fusion Drive and use it for a few weeks. If you notice slowdowns due to the Fusion Drive get an external 500 GB SSD (Samsung T5 for example) and use it instead. At the end of the day you'll save $300 but end up with a higher-specced machine. The SSD certainly won't be faster than an internal one - in fact it'll be slower. But you won't be able to notice the difference.

Fusion Drives aren't half as bad as people in the tech bubble on the internet make them out to be. Give them a chance, you might end up being perfectly satisfied with it. I was very skeptical at first, too but ended up getting an amazing deal on a 2017 5K iMac base model ($1,300 + tax) so I went for it. Fortunately, I didn't get an external SSD right away because truth be told I'm perfectly fine with the FD for my everyday work.

Once you're out of warranty you can always do what @tubeexperience suggested and open it up to replace the internal hard drive with a fast SSD.
Thank you for your great advice, it's pretty rare to see people around here saying that the fusion drives are alright too, but I have a feeling that I'm going to have a very similar experience to yours! I went for the 2TB fusion model!
[doublepost=1529947453][/doublepost]
Well, you can go with the 2TB Fusion Drive configuration drive and replace the 2TB hard drive with an SSD later if you desire.

You can get a ~500 GB SSD for ~$100, 1TB SSD for ~$200, and 2TB SSD for ~$300.

The process to upgrade the HDD --> SSD is the same for the 2017 model as for the 2013 model

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/imac-27-inch-late-2013-hdd-ssd-upgrade.2122595/
Thanks for your reply and advice! Although I think it's pretty cool to be able to open up your own iMac and upgrade stuff yourself, I literally have 0 experience in doing something like that and I really don't want to potentially void the warranty...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.