Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrBrownStone'95

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2016
Maybe this has been discussed before but I need a specific answer..
I have a Macbook Pro (early 2011) version.
The internal HDD seems to be slow in performance and I've been suggested to replace it with a SSD. Did some searching in various forums and sites.
Thing is I need a better performance for a small cost and I found SSHD(Seagate 1 TB) to be a good bargain in terms of speed and value for money.
Should I go for a smaller capacity SSD for speed or SSHD for higher storage and lesser speed (albeit better than what I have now)?

Also I use Logic Pro and Final Cut and do some heavy editing. So, what would be the best value upgrade?

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
The internal HDD seems to be slow in performance and I've been suggested to replace it with a SSD. Did some searching in various forums and sites.
Thing is I need a better performance for a small cost and I found SSHD(Seagate 1 TB) to be a good bargain in terms of speed and value for money.
Should I go for a smaller capacity SSD for speed or SSHD for higher storage and lesser speed (albeit better than what I have now)?

Also I use Logic Pro and Final Cut and do some heavy editing. So, what would be the best value upgrade?

Pure SSD, especially if you're using creative applications like LPX/FCP.

Reactions: Arran

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013

SSD all the way I'm afraid those SSHD's only have a 8gb flash cache no bigger than the amount of ram you probably have which is at least 10x as fast. They really don't give much benefit over a good fast HDD replacement. Opening large vide and music files to work on will be far faster with an SSD.

r6mile

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2010
London, UK

Absolutely go for full SSD. 250GB is quite good value these days (Samsung 850 EVO is my recommendation). You could still get keep your current storage by getting rid of the optical drive and putting in your old HDD in its place (using a caddy like the OWC one).

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
I would put in an SSD and buy a cheap caddy for the optical drive to put in your current hard drive. Turn it into a fusion drive, and you have the best of both worlds.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
I'm in agreement with the straight SSD crowd. I stuck a SSHD in a new 2012 Mac mini right after I bought it: Didn't make much of a difference.

OTOH, I put SSDs in several MacBooks with huge effect.

And the cost of SSDs has tumbled recently. A 960GB is about $250. 500GB can be had for half that price.

Spend the money and be done with it. No regrets.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
The choice is an SSD.

Take the old drive out and put it into an external 2.5" enclosure.

If you have too much "stuff" on the old HDD, do some "rationalizing". Just keep things you have-to-have on the internal SSD, and leave other stuff "stored externally".

You -will like- the performance an SSD gives you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.