Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mlody

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City
I understand it as I have looked at both CCC and SD pretty extensively but how does the idea of being able to instal an OS help me with the failing ssd on my fusion drive. From everything I have found if it does the HD is dead. So from the getgo my question has been... how do I preemptively bypass the ssd part of the fusiondrive so that I can keep using this old iMac. And mainly I'm looking for proven suggestions since there have been a ton of suggestions that are all based on what people think will or might work instead of "this actually works and here you can see find exactly how".

Not to be mean, but you are being a bit ignorant. People have shared plenty of suggestions and how to's and recommendations. What else do you expect at this point? Someone to offer to go your house and do it for you? Is Googling that hard, or you are a type of person, that someone needs to walk you by your hand step by step? If the latter, then you should not be attempting to do any of that. Trade/sell/give away the old system, enjoy the new one and move on as clearly what is being explained and presented to you is above your head.

ovbacon

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 13, 2010
Tahoe, CA
No, I have done it on few occasion. As I matter of fact, I picked up 21.5' 2017 iMac that I will be cracking open hopefully soon to do some upgrade work too. I am just waiting till WWDC to see if that iMac gets dropped or not and then I will plan accordingly.
great thanks

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
If you have an external SSD, you could try this:
1. Boot to INTERNET recovery:
Command-OPTION-R
at boot (use a WIRED keyboard)

2. When the internet utilities load, open disk utility.
Go to the view menu (if there is one) and choose "show all devices"
VERY IMPORTANT STEP above, do not overlook it.

3. Erase the external SSD. For Mojave and later, choose "APFS, GUID partition format".
For High Sierra and earlier, choose "Mac OS extended, journaling enabled, GUID partition format".

4. Quit disk utility and open the OS installer.
Install a fresh copy of the OS onto the SSD.
Accept ANY version of the OS that the installer offers you.

5. When the install is done, you will see the initial setup screen for the SSD.
Start clicking through.
At this point you can either "start fresh" (with a new account), or try to "migrate" from either the backup or the internal drive(s) if still working.
Do whatever method results in a bootable drive.

A Mac that boots (regardless of the OS version) is better than one that doesn't.

Last edited:

ovbacon

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 13, 2010
Tahoe, CA
RESOLVED: After having tried most things suggested by various people in thread I was able to create a bootable external ssd that runs the OS and all applications etc.

Things that did NOT work: creating a clone of the internal "fusion drive" onto a external ssd and boot from it. I used Carbon Copy Cloner, SuperDuper and via the macOS Recovery system to "restore" the HD to an external ssd. All of these were unable to create a bootable macOS Monterey 12.6.5 copy. I tried many times with all programs and there was just no way. I can only guess that the fusion drive makes everything even more complicated than Apple has already done on non fusion drive machines.

I thought about splitting the fusion drive into a seperate ssd/hdd but I really wanted a bootable/working external ssd before trying anything radical. I also found that many online resources that tell you how to split the drive use terminal commands that are incorrect or do not work in Monterey. I'm not going to mention all the mistakes I noticed but I was not going throw in terminal commands when not completely trusting that they will do exactly what I want.

This is what DID work: I, not completely, followed Fishrrman suggestion.

1: I Erased the external SSD "APFS, GUID partition format" in Disk Utility.
2: I restarted the iMac, Command (⌘)-R at start-up, in macOS Recovery system (I used a wireless bluetooth mac keyboard/mouse without any problems).
3: I went into the the OS Monterey installer that showed and installed it on the external ssd (this took a few hours).
4: I did a fresh install to be sure it worked and once I was able to run the OS from the ssd I used Migration Assistant from the internal HD to the External SSD.
5: I made sure the Startup Disk was set to my external ssd and started the mac multiple times to make sure it boots correctly every time. (start-up is slightly slower that the internal boot but nothing to bad)

Again thanks to all that participated and thanks to Fishrrman for giving the one solution that actually worked.

I'm still debating if at one point I should completely reformat the internal HDD and/or split the fusion but for now I'm keeping as until I am convinced that this works smoothly without problems.

Screen Shot 2023-05-04 at 7.26.14 AM.jpg

The enclosure and ssd used: Qwiizlab M.2 NVMe and SATA External Enclosure (USB-C 10Gbps, SSD Rugged IP66 Dust and Water Resistant) with a Leven JPS600 2TB (PCIe 3D NAND NVMe Gen3x4 PCIe M.2 2280 SSD with Heat Sink)
Enclosure and ssd +/- $105.- on Amazon

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.