Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thatguywill

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2021
Hopefully someone on here can help with my question as google research hasn't really helped.

I have a MBPR Late 2013 15in inch - A1398

I've tried Samsung NVME 970 EVO plus SSD (with an adapter) but was greatly unimpressed as the the heat it generated was ridulous. It also ended up failing after a year so I'm going back to Apple SSD's.

To the point, I'm currently using the Gen 3 1TB SM1024F - MZ-KPU1T0T/0A6 which is PCIe 2.0 with 4 lanes. After my research I've become aware that the next generation (Gen 4) is compatible with my MacBook. BUT, I want to know as its PCIe 3.0 would I benefit from a speed increase or am I only capable of reaching PCIe 2.0 speeds? Would it be a waste of money to go to the next Gen with no real performance increase?

Thanks in advance for your help

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Instead of fooling with the drive inside, it might be time to give serious consideration to upgrading the entire MBP...

• Angry
Reactions: thatguywill

thatguywill

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2021
Instead of fooling with the drive inside, it might be time to give serious consideration to upgrading the entire MBP...
It’s still a very capable machine. The term ‘fooling around’ is not appreciated either. If you don’t have anything productive to say, don’t say anything

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.