Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

countershading

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
Regarding a classic Mac Pro 5.1 for media work:

If you had
1. a faster SSD (NVMe) that connects via PCIe slot
and
2. a slower SSD in one of the four harddisc drive bays
and
3. an even slower HDD in one of the four harddisc drive bays,

which of those 3 would you use for
A. Operating System/Applications
B. Scratch Disc
C. Currently used files you’re working on (images, videos)

(Long term storage of files not currently in use and backups would be additional HDDs.)
Thank you for any suggestions!

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
This may depend on the app you're using. There was an article a year ago or so where Adobe CC was tested and it showed improved performance with a fast scratch disk (PCIe).
If it were me, I would have OS and apps on an SSD, as I do now. I intend to buy a PCIe 1TB for workspace (scratch). HDDs are used for storage. That is, I would move a project off an SSD device when done, and from HDD to SSD device when working.
I also edit on a late-2103 15-MBP, and it is a very balanced system. It is on par, if not faster, than my 6x3.33 cMP with 580 and SSD.

Reactions: countershading

handheldgames

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2009
Pacific NW, USA
Regarding a classic Mac Pro 5.1 for media work:

If you had
1. a faster SSD (NVMe) that connects via PCIe slot
and
2. a slower SSD in one of the four harddisc drive bays
and
3. an even slower HDD in one of the four harddisc drive bays,

which of those 3 would you use for
A. Operating System/Applications
B. Scratch Disc
C. Currently used files you’re working on (images, videos)

(Long term storage of files not currently in use and backups would be additional HDDs.)
Thank you for any suggestions!

A huge ramdisk comes in handy as well. For my usage, a 30GB raid 0 ramdisk is the minimum size I booth with on a daily basis.

countershading

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
…I would move a project off an SSD device when done, and from HDD to SSD device when working…
So all three should be SSD, with Scatch as the fastest in PCIe slot (then HDD as long term storage).
[doublepost=1560560034][/doublepost]
A huge ramdisk comes in handy as well. For my usage, a 30GB raid 0 ramdisk is the minimum size I booth with on a daily basis.

Create.pro:
“Using a RAM disk is not recommended unless you know exactly what you’re doing.”

I don’t know exactly what I’m doing.

handheldgames

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2009
Pacific NW, USA
So all three should be SSD, with Scatch as the fastest in PCIe slot (then HDD as long term storage).
[doublepost=1560560034][/doublepost]

Create.pro:
“Using a RAM disk is not recommended unless you know exactly what you’re doing.”

I don’t know exactly what I’m doing.

With 96gb of ram, it's hard to make a mistake. Ramdisks deliver the fastest 4k performance and compelling large file transfers that rival PCIe 3.0 ssd's running on a Highpoint SSD710x adapter. While there are risks, it's worth the benefit and the investment in research. The only reason I went dual CPU was for the jump to 96gb. to enable large ramdisks.
[doublepost=1560561113][/doublepost]And yes.. I've always had scratch volumes to work with beyond the system disk. It just makes sense.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.